New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari won't download after update .

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I went ahead and idid the update via SU and went to 10.7.2. Was using Safari and i went to download a file, and when i did the Safari window started the dl and within 3 seconds buy Safari App just quit.
All my windows wen so had to reopen all my tabs. I went and tried another dl and did the same thing. I dragged the .plist to my desktop and tried another file. Same thing just quit afar bout 3secs.
I then went and dl the 10.7.2 Combo update. Went and tried another file and could not dl it. this is getting annoying. I shut of f all my extensions and thried again and nothing. Any other ideas would be creating appreciated.
atm im copy and pasting the URL into FF to do load things atm.

Cbeers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Does not seem to be a common issue at all. Maybe try a reboot and a Permissions repair.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yeah thanks Bob.
Have Repaired Permissions with MM, have reset, cleaned caches, turned off extensions, reinstalled Safari over the top (think ill do a clean install of Safari) Dragged another .plist to the desktop and I'm not much better.
As soon as i hit the dl button the task bar hangs for 3 seconds and then it all just quits. No beach ball nothing. Just quits every window/tab i have open as if someone had clicked Force Quit.
Anything else to try. And while I'm here where do i locate the Safari Bookmark/History folder so i can save a copy for when i trash the whole App. I don't have a current Lion Backup that i can access atm

Cheers

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sounds like you've done tried about everything I can think of.

That stuff would all be in ~/Library/Safari

You could keep just these:

Perhaps the local storage if you want.
Or just create a copy of the entire folder and drag individual files back in one at a time to get Safari back to where you want. I haven't experimented with everything in there.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Thanks Bob.
Have the whole folder saved, but what is blocking me now is Safari brings up this error " Safari can't be modified or deleted bc it is part of the Mac OS" or words to that affect.

So question now is how do i delete Safari ??
Is there a Terminal cmd ?
or if i log in as root will i be able to delete it then ??

Any other suggestions ill take with a smile

Cheers

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Bump

Seriously annoying now !!!!

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Guess it is silly to ask if you are running antivirus software mate,m but how about Growl or Little Snitch? With Safari and net not running. go into applications select Safari with right button and see if you can send it to Trash. Of course you will need FF to download another Safari version.

Do not remember the 7.2 update downloading Safari so maybe run the common updater.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Yea Harry. Don't run ant AV mate. Disabled Glims and turned off little snitch . . . .. Im at a loss as to why this is happening.

Tried to trash it the way you suggested and i still get
thanks anyway Harry.

Anyone else ??
Surely there is a Terminal Command to Trash something that you could only do as root user ??

Cheers

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Surely there is a Terminal Command to Trash something that you could only do as root user ??
My time to shine?

The command that you're looking for is as follows:
Code:
sudo rm -rf /Applications/Safari.app/
Before you do this, make sure you have a backup - I can't stress this enough. I don't know what effect removing Safari will have given WebKit's integration with the OS. You've been warned.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

You now got me worried Van . . . . .
I hate to say this but looks like i might have to go to FF or god forbid that thing called Google Chrome *dig* lol

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if turning off and disabling these spyware (what I call them) programs is actually enough tattooed? how about dragging them out into the Trash and see if that bring any joy.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

I suppose it couldn't hurt to much Harry, as this has to be the most annoying bug i have encountered to date. I have a few hrs spare this arvo so i might do a backup then have a play around.
Fingers crossed

Cheers

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Harry, still no joy mate so i have bitten the bullet and i must say im impressed with Google Chrome. Dont like FF for what ever reason but GC is nce to use and faster than Safari.
Ill keep plugging away at Safari and see if i can find the bug or whats causing my problem, or am in hope that they bring out a update to fix it. We will see but im happy for now.

Cheers

EDIT : This will make Van a happy camper having another convert

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Your avatar mate says OS X.7.1. Have you considered downloading the OS X.7.2 combo and giving that a fly? First thread does say updated via SU.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1459

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Your avatar mate says OS X.7.1. Have you considered downloading the OS X.7.2 combo and giving that a fly? First thread does say updated via SU.

OS X Lion Update 10.7.2 Client Combo
OOPS

Thanks for pointing that out Harry. I did get the combo but didnt change it in my details. I did state in my first post that i did the combo after the SU update when things where still not right. Thanks anyway mate

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« google redirect issue, not dns or "google redirect malware" issue | QuickTime Pro Doesn't Work on OSX 7 Lion »