New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

PAGES for MAC and PAGES for iOS How does this work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Maxtcc

Maxtcc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" i7 imac

So If you purchase PAGES via the app store , for say your iMac.
1. does it synch via iCloud with all your macs, and iPods, and phones, like the iOS PAGES app?
2. do you need to also purchase the iOS version in order to edit and view act.. via iCloud?
3. is anyone working with this and how do you like it?
QUOTE Thanks
drjamie03

drjamie03 is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to use Pages. I can't figure out how it syncs, because when you open Pages on the Mac, it opens a new document...so I don't know where the documents I created on my iPhone are. I like Pages in general, but can't figure out the iCloud part.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

You have to sign into iCloud and then go to the iWork page. Click on the Pages tab and in the right of the screen should see a (settings wheel if I remeber right) click on it and you get a pull down menu to upload documents.
They will synch from there to your IOS devices if they have Pages and you have enabled iCloud.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
drjamie03

drjamie03 is on a distinguished road

Okay. That makes sense. It isn't as convenient as I had hoped, but at least it works. I had hoped you could just open Pages on your computer and have the documents available there, or have iCloud sync with the Documents folder (or be able to specify a folder on your computer that has the files you need to keep synced, like Dropbox). I hope Apple has plans to make this easier. MobileMe wasn't perfect, but at least that part worked. Thanks for the reply.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjamie03 View Post
Okay. That makes sense. It isn't as convenient as I had hoped, but at least it works. I had hoped you could just open Pages on your computer and have the documents available there, or have iCloud sync with the Documents folder (or be able to specify a folder on your computer that has the files you need to keep synced, like Dropbox). I hope Apple has plans to make this easier. MobileMe wasn't perfect, but at least that part worked. Thanks for the reply.
You're welcome. I'm hoping future upgrades will take the extra steps out of the process.

EDIT: BTW if you try to upload an older version Pages document it won't work. You will have to open it in Pages 9 and then save it to the new format for cloud sync to work.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
timmy_toad

timmy_toad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" + iPhone 5S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
You have to sign into iCloud and then go to the iWork page. Click on the Pages tab and in the right of the screen should see a (settings wheel if I remeber right) click on it and you get a pull down menu to upload documents.
They will synch from there to your IOS devices if they have Pages and you have enabled iCloud.
Very Helpful thanks, i hadn't seen that procedure explained so simply before, thanks.

I am confused by the fact that the same document(s) are at my iWork.com pages ?. why have both ?

tim
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That works for Docs or Spreadsheets from the OSX end but not the IOS end here. Anyone know how to get Pages or Numbers files from the iPad to iCloud? That is the part so far that has me stumped and I don't get stumped all that often! Grin

Figured it out. You have to make the DOC or Spreadsheet in Pages or Numbers in IOS then it will upload automatically to the iCloud. Tried it. Also tried editing an existing document and the changes were on the iCloud copy in 5 seconds or less. Impressive.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

iWork for the Mac is probably due for an upgrade at some point, so I would imagine they might add real iCloud syncing at some point...
QUOTE Thanks
Maxtcc

Maxtcc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" i7 imac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtcc View Post
So If you purchase PAGES via the app store , for say your iMac.
1. does it synch via iCloud with all your macs, and iPods, and phones, like the iOS PAGES app?
2. do you need to also purchase the iOS version in order to edit and view act.. via iCloud?
3. is anyone working with this and how do you like it?

So , Can anyone answer these three questions for me?
I would like to get pages, but I am unsure how iOS and Mac app will interact. If I need to purchase both or one or the other.
Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

1) No
2) Yes & no
3) Love it

Pages on the Mac can upload to your iCloud account and from there you can view files on the web. However it doesn't automatically sync documents down from iCloud, you you'll need to visit iCloud.com and download them manually if you've edited or created docs on your iOS devices.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

I also have a question myself about Pages for Mac and iPhone syncing. I have some private documents that I don't want synced through iCloud. I would prefer to manually sync through iTunes. Does anyone know if this is possible?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
I also have a question myself about Pages for Mac and iPhone syncing. I have some private documents that I don't want synced through iCloud. I would prefer to manually sync through iTunes. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Good question. I checked iTunes and see no way to do that. I had used Dropbox for my docs and spreadsheets before iCloud. I share your concern for private documents with say my banking info in them. So far I have found no other way.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Good question. I checked iTunes and see no way to do that. I had used Dropbox for my docs and spreadsheets before iCloud. I share your concern for private documents with say my banking info in them. So far I have found no other way.
In Pages IOS when you start a new document one of the choices is to copy from iTunes, but I have no idea how to actually do that.

EDIT: I'm curious now so I may play with this and see if I can figure it out.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
In Pages IOS when you start a new document one of the choices is to copy from iTunes, but I have no idea how to actually do that.
Saw that but I see no way in iTunes itself to get Documents into it! Going to check Pages and Numbers in OSX later.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

OK
I've got a doc into iTunes after sync finishes will see if it is available to Pages. Will post back results.

EDIT: That worked!
1) I went to Pages on my MBP and selected a file and saved it in the latest format.
2) Then connected my iPad and on the APPs Tab scrolled down to Pages (lower panel) and selected ADD from the file sync panel
3) Browsed to file and selected it and it appeared in the file sync panel
4) After sync was complete, I opened Pages on my iPad, hit + button to create file and selected copy from iTunes.
5) My file was there, selected it and it opened in Pages IOS

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question About Safari Password Storage, Does it require Master Password? | itunes »