New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Office 2004 - How many installs used?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

longtalljohn

longtalljohn is on a distinguished road

Can anyone help please?

I purchased a used copy of Office for Mac 2004 (Student and Teacher) a couple of years ago. It works fine whenever in need it.

The only problem is that I now don't know how many of the three installs have been used!

Obviously, I've used one.

The previous owner has used at least one, but possibly BOTH of the other two. How can I find out?

How can I find out if there are any installs still available without actually trying to install on to another machine?

If there is one left, I would like to sell on Ebay again.

Thanks

John
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Do not think you can. Try another install and see what happens. Be aware Office 2004 is not compatible with Lion.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Zeke_D

Zeke_D will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB

The actual ability to install the S&T edition are determined by legnth of time from activating the same s/n. I have personally installed S&T with the first s/n 3 times due to various upgrades. I believe the magic number is 180 days. If you activate before that time has passed, the activation server will flag the install. Don't worry though, the worst Microsoft can do to you is force you to call into the automated activation hotline. Microsoft will never accuse you of pirating (you can litigate for slander) the worst they can do is make it difficult for you. These are not based on any inside knowledge or documentation, but on observations of microsoft product installations over the last decade.

[ gen1 16gb iPad | gen2 500gb time capsule | gen3 32gb iPod touch | gen1 40gb appleTV ]
[ 12" iBook 1.33ghz | 1.25gb RAM | Mobility Radeon 9550 | 40gb HDD ]
[ eMac 1ghz | 1gb RAM | Radeon 9200 32mb | 240gb HDD | Airport Extreme ]
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Office 2004 and Office 2008 do not require activation. Microsoft began activation for Mac Office with the 2011 version. The Home and Student version of MS Office 2008 comes with 3 serial numbers. Each serial number can be used on two machines for a total of 6 installs. I believe 2004 is the same.
QUOTE Thanks
longtalljohn

longtalljohn is on a distinguished road

Thanks for these posts. So I guess my question is:

How can I find out how many on the product keys have been used?

Thanks

John
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtalljohn View Post
Thanks for these posts. So I guess my question is:

How can I find out how many on the product keys have been used?

Thanks

John
There's no way to tell because 2004 does not require activation. I'm not at all suggesting violating the spirit of the MS EULA, however, if you have the product keys, just go ahead and use one. As long as you do not exceed what the EULA specifies, you should be fine. Remember, each product key can be used on two machines: 1 desktop and 1 notebook.

If you were using Office 2011 the EULA is quite different and it also requires on line activation.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Office 2011 PowerPoint permissions problem | Any way to transfer ultraviolet digital copy dvd to iTunes, not Flixster? »