New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Lost iLife '11

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrmeister

mrmeister is on a distinguished road

Hi,
My friend recently had problems with her new Macbook Pro (bought less than a month ago as of 15th Oct. 2011) and i had to completely wipe it and reinstall Lion for her. Now, her macbook didn't come with any install DVDs, apparently Apple aren't doing this anymore? I had to install Lion using the DVD that i had created from the .dmg that i had bought from the app store.
Everything is working fine now and she running OS X 10.7.1, but she's lost her iLife apps. She no longer has iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband.
Is there anyway of getting these apps back? They were originially preinstalled on her system but no application DVDs came with her mac so i can't reinstall them for her.
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks
mrmeister
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Did she register the machine with an Apple ID? If she did, all you have to do is open the Mac App store and re-download them.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mrmeister

Sorry, i forgot to mention, we've already tried going into the app store with her apple id and we can't re-download the apps
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Did you make a backup prior to starting the reinstall? With what?

You reinstalled Lion from where? The Recovery partition on her machine or a USB key you made - although I'm not sure if the recovery partition on a new machine would include the iLife suite installs or not. Have not tried it on mine.

For next time - re-installing OS X is rarely required and should only be used as a last option - this ain't Windows. So, unless someone's been playing around with hidden system files they shouldn't have, a reinstall shouldn't be necessary.

QUOTE Thanks
mrmeister

Basically, she had tried to install Windows 7 via bootcamp and i guess it didn't take. She couldn't boot into the mac side of her hard drive. Whenever she got to the login screen and typed her password in, the screen would change for a second, then revert to needing the password. I ran the "verify disk" command from disk utility and it said that there was an error, the hard drive was corrupt and needed to be reinstalled. So i downloaded a program called MacDrive for windows to allow me to see her mac partition, copied her user folders for all her personal stuff, and then wiped everything.
I reinstalled from a DVD that i had made.
Unfortunately, she didn't have a backup, but she's now bought an external to use as a backup for the future.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

My guess then, probably will have to call Apple. Make sure once installed - she gets her system registered with her Apple ID and this would be a non-issue and registered in the App Store.

This whole discless install stuff is a pitr.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
This whole discless install stuff is a pitr.
Yes, it's definitely not Scottish.

That said, if it was bought last October, it came with media.. and there should be a second disk with all the iLife stuff on it.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
mrmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
That said, if it was bought last October, it came with media.. and there should be a second disk with all the iLife stuff on it.
Well i stated in the first post that it was not bought last october, but within a month from todays date (15th Oct. 2011).
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmeister View Post
Well i stated in the first post that it was not bought last october, but within a month from todays date (15th Oct. 2011).
Sorry, sometimes I'm not up to my full caffeine level. For some reason (perhaps because it's over 100f again) I was thinking it was still summer. IN that case.. yep.. everything above applies.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« App Store Purchase | Crossword puzzle generator freeware »