New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

editing Reminder lists in iCal

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

llbean

llbean is on a distinguished road

Switched from MobileMe to iCloud and am considering embracing the new Reminder app on my iPod in conjunction with iCal instead of ToDo (I don't really use most of the functionality of ToDo).

So far there are two issues which are holding me back:

1) Appears that you can only create new Reminder lists in Reminder, not in iCal
2) Before Reminders, To Dos were tied to a calendar, now they are tied to a Reminder list. Appears to be no way to change the color of a Reminder list in iCal. Before Reminders, To Dos were tied to a calendar, now they are tied to a Reminder list.

Anybody else find solutions to the two problems above?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mikalm

mikalm is on a distinguished road

I do not have an answer, but like llbean am hoping for one. I finally figured out how to merge calendars in ical, and am now hoping for the same capability in reminders. In Ical, all the reminders show up anyway regardless of what "calendar" they are associated with, but on the Iphone with IOS5, it seems like you can only view one "calendar" list of reminders at a time. Since I can't remember which reminders are on which list, I would like to be able to merge them. I hope someone knows an answer to this.
QUOTE Thanks
mikalm

mikalm is on a distinguished road

It turns out if you left click on the word "Reminders" in Ical, the various lists reminders are in comes up. Decide which list you want to have your reminders merged into. For example let's say you would like to merge "Home" and "Inbox" into "Work." First right click on "Home" and export it, just like you would do with a calendar - maybe give it a different name like "Homereminder." Similarly, export "Inbox." Then, VERY IMPORTANT! Right click on "Home" and "Inbox" and delete each of them. Only after they are deleted, then import "Homereminder" and "Inboxreminder" picking your destination as "Work."
Voila! All of your reminders are now restored in one list.
QUOTE Thanks
llbean

Interesting, and if you right click on one of the Reminder lists you can change the color. So one issue solved, now how does one create a new list in iCal......

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
llbean

Other thing that would be nice is if Reminders had a repeating option, just like events do on the calendar.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

??? Not sure what the question is.
Reminders is a heading which is a subset of Calendars, and they are a way of grouping similar Events together.
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

I can create a new reminder in iCal and it appears quickly in both iCloud on the web and on my iPad.

I can create a new reminder list in iCal by creating a new reminder and while it is open clicking File/New Reminder List/iCloud.

Love it!
QUOTE Thanks
llbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by llbean View Post
Other thing that would be nice is if Reminders had a repeating option, just like events do on the calendar.
Just to elaborate, I'm trying to find out if there is a way to set up an reoccurring reminder, kinda like paying the mortgage every month.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

I'm still having trouble figuring out what you think a "Reminder" is as opposed to an "Event". The latter term is found in iCal Help, the former is not.

If you mean the To Do list, although I don't use it, it's purpose is not the same as that of the Events in your Calendar. To Do items are static. That is you put it on the list until you've done it. Then you can check it off as being done, or delete it.

What you're asking about reoccurring things is what iCal Events are for. So, no, you can't use iCal in a different way than it was programmed.
QUOTE Thanks
llbean

toMAcsh-

Sorry, didn't think it was that stupid of a question. Yes I'm talking about Reminders, what use to be To-Do on the right side of iCal, now with an entire app dedicated to it. I understand the difference between that and an event. It appears as though a Reminder has nothing to do with any calendars any more, the lists are different. Didn't know just how much it had changed with this update. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities for a basic task manager to be able to have a repeating reminder, apparently it doesn't.

Thanks-

llbean
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Not a stupid question at all. The miscommunication might be on my end because I'm using Leopard, and thus an older version of iCal. But, it points to the advisability of always including your OS version and the version of any app you are asking a question about. This was not one of the changes to iCal that I read about in MacWorld. I guess they don't have room to cover everything.
QUOTE Thanks
llbean

No worries, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Ila

Ila is on a distinguished road

I used reminders on my iPad before I got my Mac. Any reminder I create on my iPad cannot be marked as completed on my Mac. The Mac app does not have the repeat options that my iPad has. Does anyone know if reminders will be the same as on the iPad in the new IOS?
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

I now use BusyCal on Mac and BusyToDo on iPad and iPhone. Everything syncs very nicely and I get a single integrated calendar/todo experience on the Mac. Seems to do what the OP wanted.

Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone and finally rejuvenated a discarded MacBook. Happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks
gto49

gto49 is on a distinguished road

I really loved the way Calendars and ToDo lists worked in Leopard/Snow Leopard. After switching to Lion, they no longer work the same way. AND I HATE IT!!

I used to be able to create an event (like a bill that needs to be paid on a certain day) and drag it over to my To Do list. I would check it off as done if and when I paid the bill, often before the date on the Calendar.

Now I have to create a new Reminder for the Event... in effect, retyping the same data all over again in the Reminder. As I said, previously, all I had to do was drag it over to the To Do list. Can't do that anymore. And it's frustrating me to no end.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photoshop Folders with strange titles | iMovie YouTube Tagging Issues »