New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iPhoto - my photos are gone - Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bsavitz

bsavitz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz

I've been having issues with my iMac lately especially when using Safari. Suddenly a translucent gray "curtain" will descend from the top of the screen and then the following message pops up:
"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart key."
When I switched to Firefox it didn't happen again however, yesterday I was transferring photos from my camera to iPhoto when it happened in the middle of the transfer and now all of my photos have vanished!
So, my main questions are, can I recover the photos and if so how? My second question is, what could be causing the "gray screen" problem?
My computer is the first version of the aluminum iMac and is running OX 10.4.11

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavitz View Post
I've been having issues with my iMac lately especially when using Safari. Suddenly a translucent gray "curtain" will descend from the top of the screen and then the following message pops up:
"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart key."
When I switched to Firefox it didn't happen again however, yesterday I was transferring photos from my camera to iPhoto when it happened in the middle of the transfer and now all of my photos have vanished!
So, my main questions are, can I recover the photos and if so how? My second question is, what could be causing the "gray screen" problem?
My computer is the first version of the aluminum iMac and is running OX 10.4.11

Thanks
I can't answer for the gray screen problem other than probably worth using Disk Utilities or Onyx to repair permissions and see if that helps.

It is unlikely your photos are missing. You have probably accidently created a new empty iPhoto library. Open Finder ans type iPhoto in the Spotlight window. After you find your old library, double click on it and iPhoto should open with your photos.

If it doesn't you have bigger problems, so post back and we'll try to help.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
bsavitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I can't answer for the gray screen problem other than probably worth using Disk Utilities or Onyx to repair permissions and see if that helps.

It is unlikely your photos are missing. You have probably accidently created a new empty iPhoto library. Open Finder ans type iPhoto in the Spotlight window. After you find your old library, double click on it and iPhoto should open with your photos.

If it doesn't you have bigger problems, so post back and we'll try to help.
Unfortunately that did not work. Any other suggestions? I find it hard to believe that the entire library of 7,000+ photos was actually deleted under those circumstances but I guess it's possible.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Unfortunately that did not work. Any other suggestions? I find it hard to believe that the entire library of 7,000+ photos was actually deleted under those circumstances but I guess it's possible.
Which means the library is probably corrupted. I'm assuming you don't have a back up. The next thing to try would be file recovery software. As you say all 7000 can't just be gone, but may be tricky or impossible to fish them out.

I haven't done much with iPhoto (I use Aperture) so hopefully one of our iPhoto gurus will chime in.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
bsavitz

Here's a follow up just in case anyone is interested.
I took my computer to the Genius Bar at the Apple store. They said the gray screen was symptomatic of a failing hard drive but it tested out okay. It turned out to be an OS issue. I had been using filevault which complicated the issue and is what may have caused the problem in the first place. I doubt I will use it again.
They had to wipe the hard drive and they upgraded my OS from Tiger to Snow Leopard. It took 2-1/2 hours all together and it was done for free even though my computer was a year out of warranty. Talk about great service...just another reason why I love Apple products.
Luckily I had backed up my photos on an external hard drive so they are now back on iPhoto although I need to organize them into events again.
I thought I had backed up my iTunes library but apparently I had not, so all of my song purchases are gone.
Anyone know if I can retrieve them from iTunes?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Here's a follow up just in case anyone is interested.
I took my computer to the Genius Bar at the Apple store. They said the gray screen was symptomatic of a failing hard drive but it tested out okay. It turned out to be an OS issue. I had been using filevault which complicated the issue and is what may have caused the problem in the first place. I doubt I will use it again.
They had to wipe the hard drive and they upgraded my OS from Tiger to Snow Leopard. It took 2-1/2 hours all together and it was done for free even though my computer was a year out of warranty. Talk about great service...just another reason why I love Apple products.
Luckily I had backed up my photos on an external hard drive so they are now back on iPhoto although I need to organize them into events again.
I thought I had backed up my iTunes library but apparently I had not, so all of my song purchases are gone.
Anyone know if I can retrieve them from iTunes?
If you are running the latest iteration of iTunes, login and in the right sidebar under Quick Links you will see a new link for purchases, click on it and select All Songs from the left side bar and you should be able to re download everything.

QUOTE Thanks
bsavitz

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
RadioSaigon

RadioSaigon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
If you are running the latest iteration of iTunes...
hmmm... I thought I was, but I surely have no links to purchased items in my right sidebar or under the Store menu as Apple support pages suggest. My OS is 10.7.2, iTunes is 10.5 and I'm running IOS5 on my iPhone. Any suggestions?

Keep it Straight with Rudder
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSaigon View Post
hmmm... I thought I was, but I surely have no links to purchased items in my right sidebar or under the Store menu as Apple support pages suggest. My OS is 10.7.2, iTunes is 10.5 and I'm running IOS5 on my iPhone. Any suggestions?
Not sure what to suggest.
Just checked again and now right above Purchased is iTunes Match with a blue highlighted "coming soon"

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting blank messages when using outlook 2011 | Quicktime player not working? Help »