New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Why OS X can't run on common PC?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mkbu95

mkbu95 is on a distinguished road

I was wondering, why Apple didn't make a PC version of OS X yet, I'm pretty sure it would be a great success on sales.
Must have a reason for they don't do that, anyone here knows?
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

They make more money selling hardware then they do on the software.

Plus, since they control all of the hardware, they are able to keep the OS and the hardware very tightly integrated.

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Even with Steve Jobs now gone from Apple, I doubt they will ever make OSX Legally run on PC Hardware. OSX works the way it does because it's made for a very narrow range of hardware made by the same company who does the OS.

I would not expect OSX for the PC in this decade anyway. Tim Cook will do what Jobs told him to do. After that, know one knows for sure.
QUOTE Thanks
mkbu95

mkbu95 is on a distinguished road

@eliehass
Well, they would make more money selling more OS and I guess it would have a decrease on iMac/Macbooks but since they are so well-made that's a remotely chance.

@dtravis7
I didn't understand, because they use Intel's processor and motherboard, AMD's graphic card, wouldn't be a problem, but yeah, perhaps they just wanna keep the OS under their wings.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What would be the point? Intel Macs run Windows just fine, why would Apple need to publish a version of OS X for PCs?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

This is what is behind some of the virus problems affecting Windows machines. The operating system is made to the lowest common denominator with so many cheap brands of PC's in the market place. Whereas Mac operating systems are made to run on exclusively Mac computers. This gives Apple the advantage as dtravis7 explained.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

They did way in the past it did not work out . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_clone
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« safari popup windows? | iWork VS Microsoft Office »