Question Best app to run windows
    Hi All,

First post for me so I hope I have posted this in the correct spot.

I am seriously contemplating the jump to a 15" macbook pro but I need Windows for a lot of work related stuff (and I actually do like Windows 7 too ).

I see there are a few different options for running Windows on Mac like Parallel, VMWare fusion and bootcamp. What is the best option out of these? (Or any better suggestions)

Thanks all for your help
    Steve

Specs:
    rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
    1. Bootcamp
    2. Parallels 7 (According to Ars Technica)
    3. VMWare Fusion 4
    My Blog: Apple Laptops

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Please read:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/run...ers-guide.html

The guide is a bit dated, but the main points are still valid.

And I would say that no matter how much lipstick and mascara they apply, Parallels is still less robust than VMWare.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
    Bootcamp will be the best option if you want native hardware support in terms of Windows it not sharing the hardware with OSX (as in Parallels or VMWare). It does require you to reboot into Windows and reboot back to OSX. It is a dual booting environment. This is the style I use and love it. Win7 runs super fast on my MBP.

Parallels and VMWare are virtualized installations of Windows. They share hardware with OSX as you first boot into OSX then run Parallels/VMWare and boot up a virtual copy of Windows. Both OS's will be running slower.

I also have a question about VMWare and Parallels. I am running Lion with Windows 7 Bootcamp. Will either VMWare or Parallels allow me to boot up my Bootcamp partition while I am still in Lion? There are some tasks that will run fine in virtualized hardware and I dont want to have to reboot every time.
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
    MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
    iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
    I also have a question about VMWare and Parallels. I am running Lion with Windows 7 Bootcamp. Will either VMWare or Parallels allow me to boot up my Bootcamp partition while I am still in Lion? There are some tasks that will run fine in virtualized hardware and I dont want to have to reboot every time.
    Both products will let you boot into a Boot Camp partition as a VM. There are some limitations and things like suspend/resume are slower or not supported, depending on the version. And of course, you can't dynamically resize the disk like you can with a full VM.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information