New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

PowerPoint 2011-Help importing style template


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
onehipgirlie

 
Member Since: Sep 23, 2011
Posts: 3
onehipgirlie is on a distinguished road

onehipgirlie is offline
I'm new to Office 2011, and need help with how to import a style template for PowerPoint. I've already downloaded the style that I like, but I'm not sure how to import it into my existing slideshow (to change the theme). I've searched everywhere, but can't find the steps I need to take.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 40,273
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
Let me see If I understand you correctly... You downloaded a new template for Powerpoint which has a style that you wish to use in an already existing Powerpoint file? Please clarify.
QUOTE Thanks
onehipgirlie

 
Member Since: Sep 23, 2011
Posts: 3
onehipgirlie is on a distinguished road

onehipgirlie is offline
Yes, that's correct. I have an existing presentation that I want to change the style of. I have a template (style theme) that I have downloaded, and am just wondering how to import it from my downloads into my existing presentation. Wondering if I need to move the file to a specific folder within the Microsoft Office folder in my Applications folder? I vaguely remembering having to do something similar with a Word template I had downloaded.

Hope I haven't made my question more confusing!

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 40,273
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
I'm not certain about specific style themes, however, a template that you downloaded should go here:

/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/My Templates/

A rather long hierarchy but that's where all user templates other than what were supplied by MS should be placed. In Windows they get downloaded and installed automatically to the correct folder.

As far as adding the new style template to an existing PPTX, I'm not sure it's possible without copying the old PPTX to a new PPTX based on the style template you downloaded.

It's possible I'm not understanding what you're trying to accomplish. If so, I'm sure someone else will jump in here and answer.
QUOTE Thanks
onehipgirlie

 
Member Since: Sep 23, 2011
Posts: 3
onehipgirlie is on a distinguished road

onehipgirlie is offline
Thanks so much for the information. I'm pretty sure that it will work once I move the downloaded file into the folders as you suggested. If not, I'll post back on here again. I appreciate the help!!
QUOTE Thanks
pbw

 
Member Since: Aug 31, 2008
Posts: 14
pbw is on a distinguished road

pbw is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehipgirlie View Post
Thanks so much for the information. I'm pretty sure that it will work once I move the downloaded file into the folders as you suggested. If not, I'll post back on here again. I appreciate the help!!
Did you ever get this to work? I have exactly the same problem, and it seems to be hard to get people to understand what you want to do, although it is an obvious enough requirement.
QUOTE Thanks
josehill

 
Member Since: May 10, 2012
Posts: 17
josehill will become famous soon enough

josehill is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbw View Post
Did you ever get this to work? I have exactly the same problem, and it seems to be hard to get people to understand what you want to do, although it is an obvious enough requirement.
I know this is a fairly old topic, but since it's not completely answered, and it comes up every now and then, I thought I'd post my solution to the problem.

The original poster wanted to apply a PowerPoint template to an existing PowerPoint presentation. More accurately, perhaps, the original poster wanted to apply the Styles/Themes from a template to an existing presentation.

The "right" way to accomplish this is to do the reverse: instead of "applying" the template to the existing presentation, use the template file to create a new, empty presentation, and then import the slides from the existing presentation into the new, empty presentation. When the slides are imported, they will take on the format of the template.

Note: you may need to select all of the imported slides in the "Slide Sorter" view, then click on the "Layout" button on the "Home" tab, and then click the "Reset Layout to Default Settings" button for all of the template formatting to apply to the imported slides. I don't know why that's the case, but it seems to work that way.
QUOTE Thanks
dare2cre8

 
Member Since: May 14, 2010
Posts: 1
dare2cre8 is on a distinguished road

dare2cre8 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by josehill View Post
I know this is a fairly old topic, but since it's not completely answered, and it comes up every now and then, I thought I'd post my solution to the problem.

The original poster wanted to apply a PowerPoint template to an existing PowerPoint presentation. More accurately, perhaps, the original poster wanted to apply the Styles/Themes from a template to an existing presentation.

The "right" way to accomplish this is to do the reverse: instead of "applying" the template to the existing presentation, use the template file to create a new, empty presentation, and then import the slides from the existing presentation into the new, empty presentation. When the slides are imported, they will take on the format of the template.

Note: you may need to select all of the imported slides in the "Slide Sorter" view, then click on the "Layout" button on the "Home" tab, and then click the "Reset Layout to Default Settings" button for all of the template formatting to apply to the imported slides. I don't know why that's the case, but it seems to work that way.
Thank you for taking the time to provide an answer to this question. Your instructions work beautifully, and now I can meet my deadline!!!
QUOTE Thanks
josehill

 
Member Since: May 10, 2012
Posts: 17
josehill will become famous soon enough

josehill is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2cre8 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to provide an answer to this question. Your instructions work beautifully, and now I can meet my deadline!!!
My pleasure! I'm glad that the solution worked for you!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« preloaded alien game on older macbook | Messages doesn't work »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Excel , Word and Powerpoint 2011 opening last edited file automatically with lion Renier OS X - Apps and Games 6 03-02-2012 02:34 PM
powerpoint 2011 on one mac doesn't work on another tigertwo OS X - Apps and Games 5 06-21-2011 01:44 PM
importing editable EPS in PowerPoint 2011 sugrstky OS X - Apps and Games 2 05-04-2011 03:12 PM
Location of powerpoint template lechaise OS X - Apps and Games 2 08-03-2010 01:53 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?