Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MS Office 2011 Date & Time format
    I have very strange problem with MS Word 2011 ver. 14.1.3
    Date/Time format is completely strange and out of sync with OS X Lion. In system preferences / Language and Text / Format -> Region selected is US.

Here is screen shot from Word / Insert / Date & Time

May be someone have idea how this issue can be solved/fixed?

Question Date Problem with Office
    I am having the same problem. I just upgraded to 2011. The problem started with 2008. It may have been a result of the switch to Lion; I can't remember if there was a correlation. I have been unable to figure out how to reset the date format in Word. The date and time format in Lion in the System Preferences is correct, i.e., it shows the entire year.

Help appreciated.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Nothing strange, it's normal. In order to see the date - formats in Lion, open "Language & Text", and click on the Format tab. The date format is not found in "Date & Time". That's only used for setting the date - time for your machine according to your time zone locale.

Date Problem with Office
    Thanks, chscag, but the problem in Word persists.

I HAD verified the date format in Lion's Language & Text System Preference, thinking that's where the problem originated. However, while today's date in System Preferences reads "September 22, 2011", in the corresponding MS Word 2011 Date and Time window (shown in bigjoshua's original post), it still reads "September 22, 11". When using autotext to complete the date, Word has been dropping 20 from the year. In my case, it was going on before upgrading to Office 2011. I think it MAY have started when I upgraded to Lion, but I can't remember.

Thanks again for trying.

Specs:
    Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
    Thanks for clarifying that - I missed it the first time as well. Mine's doing the same thing. I'll forward a request to our MS tech manager and see if we can get some guidance on it. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2586538

Specs:
    I HAD verified the date format in Lion's Language & Text System Preference, thinking that's where the problem originated. However, while today's date in System Preferences reads "September 22, 2011", in the corresponding MS Word 2011 Date and Time window (shown in bigjoshua's original post), it still reads "September 22, 11". When using autotext to complete the date, Word has been dropping 20 from the year. In my case, it was going on before upgrading to Office 2011. I think it MAY have started when I upgraded to Lion, but I can't remember.
    Word is not dropping anything. It's the choice that Word gives when you select that particular format. It's plain and clear in the Word date and time dialog that it prints the date as "September 22, 11".

Now if you say that MS neglected to offer the date format of "September 22, 2011" you would be correct. And it appears MS Office is not using the date formats from System Preferences.

But, I agree with you about the format. They certainly should include that format since it's one of the more popular ways (at least in the US) to display the date. I'll report the omission to the MS Office forum on their server where perhaps one of the MS MVPs can comment or explain.

Date Problem with Office
    Thanks, chscag. Please tell the MS MVP that I did not "select" that format. It just started happening one day when I was writing a letter with the date at the top and expected the normal "2011" to be added with the date after typing the month. I had not made any changes in my options, preferences, customizations, etc. I was using MS Word 2008 for Mac at the time. It has continued to be a problem since upgrading.

Specs:
    The latest: According to MS, it will be addressed in a future service pack or update; whatever that means... Also promised are versions and save versions for Lion compatibility.

As a note, I just downloaded and installed an update for Office 2011 today but it appears to only be a small security patch, nothing major.

Specs:
    Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
    Our Technical Accounts Manager at MS said the same thing... there are a bunch of documents referencing the issue, but no ETA on a solution. I told him we needed a solution in 30 days. We'll see how well that flies. :-)

Still no update to this over 3 months later. It doesn't follow system preferences and seems only to be a Lion issue since it works fine for me on Snow Leopard and follows Macs default settings.

Specs:
    Why they didn't address it in the latest service pack (4) is beyond me. They still haven't fixed the "save" and versions for Lion either.

Workaround using Autocorrect
    My workaround:

In autocorrect, replace ", 12y" with ", 2012".

If MS completes to "January 12, 12" I just add "y " and the autocorrect takes care.

Not great, not terrible. Just MS at work, 'ya know

Quote Originally Posted by david19087 View Post
    My workaround:

In autocorrect, replace ", 12y" with ", 2012".

If MS completes to "January 12, 12" I just add "y " and the autocorrect takes care.

Not great, not terrible. Just MS at work, 'ya know
    Good idea thanks for sharing.

Specs:
    iMac (late 2006); OS X 10.7.5 (Lion)
    Thumbs up Solved: date format for Office 2008
    1. On your Mac, go to System Preferences; Language & Text [NOTE: **Mac** system prefs, NOT Word/Office prefs!]

2. Even if everything looks correct (ie, full, 4-digit year), under "Dates", click "Customize" and RE-set the "Medium", "Long", and "Full" date formats to the 4-digit year (eg, "2013") using the drop-down selection menu. Make sure the "Year" element (below the formats) shows all 4 digits (this doesn't seem to be changeable, but mine shows all 4 digits: "2013").

3. Click "OK"

4. Office now uses the 4-digit year when you "insert date".

Worked for me, using Lion (OS X 10.7.5) and Office:Mac 2008. I also had this problem appear out of the blue (red?) after upgrading from Snow Leopard (10.6.x) to Lion (10.7.x). Not sure if this will work for Office 2011 or Mountain Lion (10.8), but give it a try.

iMac (late 2006); OS X 10.7.5; Office:Mac 2008

My MBP mid 2010 running ML was doing this as well. Really bugged me. Nice fix. It is working right now. Thanks.

Thread Information