New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Word 2011 for Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lzweifel

lzweifel is on a distinguished road

I have some formatting questions for Word 2011 for Mac... is there a spot to ask questions?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I've moved your post to a more appropriate forum. Please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!
QUOTE Thanks
lzweifel

I looked and could not see where to post, that's why I asked where I did!
QUOTE Thanks
lzweifel

I am formatting a very large document in Word 2011. How can I remove all formatting for a particular paragraph and re-format and add a new style?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzweifel View Post
I am formatting a very large document in Word 2011. How can I remove all formatting for a particular paragraph and re-format and add a new style?
Can you be more specific? What type of formatting or style are you trying to change/implement? For instance - if it's font or style - it's just a matter of highlighting that paragraph and selecting from the appropriate dropdown box. You can also use the format painter if you're trying to make it look like the rest of the document.

You'll also find some very good help here Office for Mac - Microsoft Answers
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I don't do a lot of this anymore, but to me that was one of the strengths of WordPerfect. I really misss having the "Reveal Code" option so you could see all of the embedded format codes. It was really helpful in getting control of a problem document.

To the OP: Sorry to intrude on your thread, but I sympathize with your situation

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
lzweifel

Oh... you are really old school if you liked Word Perfect, haha. Actually you can see all formatting codes if you choose...

I finally figured out what I wanted... Just needed to get mad!!! FYI.. you were not intruding at all!!

Nice to know someone is listening!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Oh... you are really old school if you liked Word Perfect, haha. Actually you can see all formatting codes if you choose...

I finally figured out what I wanted... Just needed to get mad!!! FYI.. you were not intruding at all!!

Nice to know someone is listening!
Yes, I am old school. Actually started with Word Star. But, I am curious, how do you see the embedded codes in MS Word?

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
lzweifel

Hi!!

On the Home tab, just to the right of the Styles menu there is "manage the styles that are used in this document" and on the bottom of that drop down menu, check the boxes for "show style guide" and "show direct formatting guides"
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Hi!!

On the Home tab, just to the right of the Styles menu there is "manage the styles that are used in this document" and on the bottom of that drop down menu, check the boxes for "show style guide" and "show direct formatting guides"
Thanks

QUOTE Thanks
jhelp

jhelp is on a distinguished road

Hi. Something weird has been happening with Word for Mac 2011. (I'm on Snow Leopard.) When I go to Save especially, the buttons on the lower right corner are positioned behind my dock so I can't access them. Sometimes I can move the window to the right and access them in a tiny space between the doc and the edge of the screen, but more often I simply can't access it! (Please don't tell me to use shortcuts; I'm a trackpad person.)

The other thing that happens concurrently is that the "frame" (for lack of a better word) below the ribbon becomes wider than the ribbon, so it's out of alignment.

Seems to me that the sizing of the window is the problem. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Do you have a screenshot of this? I'm sure there's a simple fix if we can see what this looks like.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jhelp

I've attached the screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mac Word problem shot jpg.jpg (238.0 KB, 23 views)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You can resize that dialog by grabbing the corner and dragging it up. It should stay like that for the future.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jhelp

If the answer is that simple then I feel like an idiot... but so should my Mac Geniuses! What about the width of the window... is that normal?

A few other things that are happening:
1) keep losing my signatures in Mail - I've seen threads on this elsewhere but don't have a fix yet.
2) keep losing Safari as my default browser - why can't this setting remain permanent?
3) Mobile me keeps asking me to Merge repeatedly even though I haven't changed anything on the other computer that it syncs with

Thank for anything you can do!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with Pages Font | iTunes requires Quicktime update. Software update up to date. »