New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Word for Mac08- Footnotes Disappear

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joebohn

joebohn is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm using Word for Mac 2008 and 1/2 way through my document the footnotes just disappear. When I hover my cursor over the footnote # in the text it appears in a caption but the footnotes are just gone from the bottom of each page.

Has anyone seen this happen before?
If yes, what did you do to fix it?

Thanks.
Joe
joeohn11@yahoo.com
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Moved to proper forum. Has nothing to do with "Suggestions and Feedback". Please read our forum descriptions before posting. Thanks.

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

About your problem.... do you see the Footnotes when doing a Print Preview?
And what view are you using to edit the document?
QUOTE Thanks
joebohn

joebohn is on a distinguished road

Chsag,

Thanks for the feedback.
When I do a print preview the footnotes are not showing up at the bottom of the page.
I'm working in the print layout view but have clicked through the other views and none of them show the footnotes either.

The document is a book. Each chapter is set up as a separate section. The first
All the footnotes were for the first 23 drafts and now all the sudden when I get to do final edits on chapter 4, all the footnotes are gone (but they must still be in the system somewhere).

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
I'm wondering if upgrading to Office for Mac 2011 will fix whatever this problem is.

Thanks,
Joe
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

This is a bit of a mystery. If the footnotes are not being displayed in "Print Preview" and you're using the Print view, I suspect they're gone from the document.

You stated that you edited chapter 4 and the footnotes are gone. Are they present for the other chapters (sections)? Or are all footnotes for the entire book gone?

I'm currently using Word 2011 and played around a bit with footnotes but I see no way that they would disappear from the document unless they were purposely removed. Naturally in draft mode the footnotes do not show up at the bottom of the page but are still annotated in the document.

I no longer have Office 2008 installed so I can't test a document with footnotes but I suspect it's the same routine as Office 2011.

Do you have "Make a backup" turned on? If you do, you can go to the last edit of the document and open it to see the footnotes are there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ISO: collaboration software | Office 2008 Power Point transitions »