New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Weird Firefox menu bar freeze bug...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steviec

steviec has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Intel 2.8 GHZ, 500 GB 7200rpm, 4 GB DDR3, OSX 10.6.8, Bootcamp & XP SP2

i'm pretty sure the bug is with firefox, but not sure...

when im browsing away, the menu bar (file, edit, view, history, bookmarks etc) (seemingly randomly) decides to die. (i can still access bookmarks from the rss bar...)

if i switch to another app, such as ardour, word, itunes or finder, the menu switches to that app and functions normally, switching back to firefox displays all the firefox specific menu bar stuff, but none of it is clickable, not even the apple. the clock works as normal tho...

the only thing that seems to cure this is to open a new firefox window, and close it again, going back to the original window. it just seems so weird...

FFox: V6.0.1, installed plugins (all up to date):
status-4-evar, greasemonkey, noscript, adblockplus, PDF crowd generator, quicktime, adobe flash, VLC media, expressive, harry potter deathly hallows part 2, rainbow wonderz, divx, google earth, unity player, iphoto, java, colorful tabs, flagfox, flash killer, load control, view cookies, abduction.

MOSX: V10.6.8, 4GB mem, 2.8GHz

anyone else had this problem?

Work is more fun than fun - Noel Coward
QUOTE Thanks
docolmo

docolmo is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem. I was able to quit Firefox only by right-clicking the icon on the bottom tray.
QUOTE Thanks
lubbdupp

lubbdupp is on a distinguished road

Everything from the Apple menu across to Help is dead but everything to the right of that works fine ... weird indeed and I can't find anything on Google to shed any light on it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you're situation is anything like the OPs, you have quite a few extensions installed. I'd suggest disabling all of them to determine if it's an extension causing the issue. Which extension do you have installed?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
lubbdupp

thanks for your reply, be happy to try disabling extensions but how if i cant access prefs from Firefox menu?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Push Shift-Command-A. That should open up the Add-Ons tab.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
lubbdupp

Thanks vs, turned them all off, restarted FF and the menubar worked! Then tried turning them all back on one by one and restarting ff each time to pinpoint problem but menu bar just kept working. Still at least I know what to do if it happens again. Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPartition question.. | Remote Assistance from Mac to Mac »