New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Apple Mail will not retrieve emails

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

OS 10.6.7, Mail 4.5

In trying to help a complete novice into the world of Apple applications and MacOS, we have run into a block wall, utterly immovable.

No matter what Mail prefs/settings are tried, Mail will not retrieve emails from the server (there is no problem sending via smtp).

Have spent hours (literally) with online and phone help at the ISP, testing different settings, but whilst test mails are going through okay, the user simply cannot retrieve them via Mail (Webmail okay).

Any brilliant thoughts before we ditch Mail altogether and try an email app that actually works?

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Who is the email account with? Their ISP? If so, could you tell me what ISP so I can do some checking?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice

The ISP is Xtra-Yahoo, user @xtra.co.nz, Yahoo! New Zealand, server setting pop3.xtra.co.nz.

Pop3 port settings tries included 110 without SSL, and 993 with SSL.

Smtp ports used default settings of 25, or 465, or 587. At one stage custom port of 25 without SSL was tried.

As said, sending mail is not a problem. It is only receiving or retrieving via Apple Mail.

Despite its age, I'm a diehard Eudora fan, and Thunderbird assumes that the user will want IMAP, so does anyone have strong recommendations about alternative email clients for MacOS? For the user's sake, it has to be simple, ie. 'press button A to retrieve, press button B to send'.

Thanks ..... Hugh

Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

The simplest mate I would suggest is Mail in Snow Leopard.

My ISP, Internode, changed both incoming and outgoing servers to
"securemail@internode etc'.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

That's strange Hugh. I have my copy of Thunderbird setup as POP3. Are you sure you can only choose IMAP?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
That's strange Hugh. I have my copy of Thunderbird setup as POP3. Are you sure you can only choose IMAP?
Depends which version chscag. For example, for the purposes of replication when trying to help others, I run a copy of T'bird on my Mini/SLpd. The T'b version is 1.5.0.9 and it works flawlessly with my ISP, plus the standard pop3 and smtp settings.

A later version - sorry , can't remember which one, but it was last year - offered the IMAP option only, no pop3.

Now there's a problem with another 'client', who has just installed that earlier version of T'b on his wife's Macbook with LeopardOS. He's run into an authentication and password problem, which requires the entering of the p/w very time s/he wants to retrieve emails.

To complicate matters, that same version of T'b works fine on his G5 iMac/TigerOS, no need for a password [he's going to investigate all the settings on the iMac to see what might be different.]

QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
The simplest mate I would suggest is Mail in Snow Leopard. My ISP, Internode, changed both incoming and outgoing servers to "securemail@internode etc'.
The first guy has a new MBPro with SLpd, and it is with that OS we're experiencing the problems with Mail. In the second instance, it's a Macbook with Leopard.

Interesting, that slightly different type of address. My previous ISP had mail.xxx.xxx.nz, whereas my present provider and the problematic ones retain the (now) old pop3.xxx.xxx.nz. There's a lot of inconsistency.

Were you aware that pop will only use Port 110, and no SSL available; whereas if you use SSL in T'b, the port number changes to 995 (in Mail it is 993). As explained, all available port options and settings were tried with the issues mentioned in Post #'s 1 & 3.

I'm of a mind to sample a couple of the other email clients that are available. Top 9 Free Mac Email Programs - About Email

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD Player vs. Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 | how to backup littlesnapper »