New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How to Fix Safari ...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vja4Him

vja4Him is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8

Something is terribly wrong with Safari ...

I keep getting a error message:

"Safari can't connect to the server."

"Safari can't open the page "http://www.apple.com/startpage/" because Safari can't connect to the server "www.apple.com".

Doesn't matter which webpage I try to access, Safari doesn't work anymore.

I've tried deleting the Cache, Cookies, plist.

I just deleted Safari altogether and all Safari files that I could find, emptied the Trash, then downloaded the most recent version of Safari from Apple, and installed.

Still have exactly the same problem.

Several days ago, I Reset Safari, which fixed the problem for a couple days. I've tried to Reset Safari many times today, but still have the same problem ....

Is this an issue with Snow Leopard 6.8? Any ideas how to fix this issue ... ???

- Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 3GB RAM, JellyBean 4.3
- iBook G4, 1GHz, 1.25GB RAM, Tiger 10.4.11
- Archos 80 G9 Turbo 250GB, Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Mac Pro, 2.93 GHz, 8GB RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Have you tried another browser? Always a good idea to have more than one browser on hand for times like this. Opera and Chrome both work well in OS X. Firefox right now is having identity problems with their "browser version of the month series". I would avoid it for now until it stabilizes.
QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Have you tried another browser? Always a good idea to have more than one browser on hand for times like this. Opera and Chrome both work well in OS X. Firefox right now is having identity problems with their "browser version of the month series". I would avoid it for now until it stabilizes.
I'm online now with Firefox. There must be a fix for this issue with Safari ...

I just ran the Disk Utility this morning. Several Days ago ran Disk Warrior. No apparent problems.

Everything else seems to be working just fine on my computer. We have seven devices that are getting online daily, not counting the X-Box.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

That is a very strange issue for sure. I have not ever had that here as long as the Internet was working. Let me do some more searching around and I will get back to you on it.

Besides Firefox, do all other internet apps, Email, Chat, ETC all work? Just Safari not getting a network connect?
QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
That is a very strange issue for sure. I have not ever had that here as long as the Internet was working. Let me do some more searching around and I will get back to you on it.

Besides Firefox, do all other internet apps, Email, Chat, ETC all work? Just Safari not getting a network connect?
Yes, this is very strange indeed .... Today I opened one of my e-mail messages and clicked on one of the links, which automatically opened up Safari with the webpage!!!

I tried several other webpages, and sure enough, Safari is back in operation!

Very strange ..... I've been searching the Internet for the past week or so for answers, but have not found any yet .....

I've tried the solutions that people have offered, and none of them worked. But then I click on a link from my e-mail and Safari works again ....

I've tried closing and re-starting Safari several times, and it still works fine.

QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

Just when I though that Safari was working ok, it is now doing exactly the same thing as before ....

I've tried deleting the plist many times, resetting Safari many times, clicking on links in my e-mail messages and other active links, which open Safari, but it still will not work. Restarted my computer, but that also did not help.

Looks like the newest version of Safari has some very serious bugs ....

Hopefully the developers will fix this bug soon ....

QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post

Everything else seems to be working just fine. Google Chrome and Firefox (just updated) are working. E-mail (Mail) is working with no issues.

The only problem I'm having is with Safari. We have seven devices that are getting online everyday with not issues, not counting the X-Box.

Looks like the newest version of Safari has some very serious issues with bugs ......

QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

One other note:

All day yesterday up until late last night, Safari was working just fine. I shut my computer down last night, then when I booted up this morning, Safari would not work.

Could this somehow cause Safari to not work ... ???

Maybe Safari will mysteriously start working again ......

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Steam on appel | Bioshock Mac OS X Lion & Intel 3000 graphics card »