New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

App for converting m4v to wmv

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rammstein

Rammstein is on a distinguished road

Anyone know of one? I've found a few, but they are usually proprietary (either convert the first five minutes of the video or have a logo displayed on the video for a trial version.)

I need to turn a 1:09 hour video into a wmv. I'd appreciate your help if there is a freeware, longer trial period or open-source alternative!
QUOTE Thanks
Rammstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Handbrake - free.
What about from M4V to WMV?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Since m4v is primarily an iTunes video codec, first is the matter of removing the DRM from the file. As that is illegal in the U.S., it's discussion is not permitted.

If this is a file you have converted to m4v, then I'd suggest going back to the original file and find a converter for it.

My question would be what and why convert to wmv?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Rammstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Since m4v is primarily an iTunes video codec, first is the matter of removing the DRM from the file. As that is illegal in the U.S., it's discussion is not permitted.

If this is a file you have converted to m4v, then I'd suggest going back to the original file and find a converter for it.

My question would be what and why convert to wmv?
I have a DVD of my cousin's wedding (the vid was made by a professional photographer.) My fiance would like to see it (she's in Europe and I'd like to send it over Skype.) She has a PC and she only knows how to make a WMV video play.

I ripped it on my Mac and was hoping there's an easy way to do the conversion.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

try changing the extension to .mp4.

Windows should play that in media player.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Rammstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
try changing the extension to .mp4.

Windows should play that in media player.
Doesn't work. Just tried it. It's still an m4v file.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

At least the following: iTunes, Quicktime, VLC, Total Media Theater and Windows Media Player will all play an unencrypted m4v file. I have at least 300 of them sitting on my Windows box right now and have no issue playing any of them in any of the above players.

If you have it ripped as a single m4v file, that's all she needs. There is nothing to "do" to "make" it play. If all she has is WMP, simply double clicking on the file or opening WMP and going to File - Open - and selecting the file it should play in WMP without any conversion.

If it won't play, I'd suggest the issue is one of the file not being transferred properly via Skype rather than it not being able to be played. Perhaps try opening a free Dropbox account and put it on there and give her the link for it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Just tell you cousin to install Quicktime, it's free.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using Hazel to add MP3 to iTunes = Causes duplicates! | Problems with RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 »