New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari Can't Connect Online ...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vja4Him

vja4Him is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8

Safari will no longer go online ... Just happened this morning. I tried rebooting the router many times. Also rebooted the Modem. Restarted my MacPro many times .... Trashed Safari and reinstalled fresh copy from Apple.

Safari still will not go online at all. Continue to get this error message:

"Safari can't connect to the server."

Safari can't open the page "http://www.google.com/" because Safari can't connect to the server "www.google.com".

- Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 3GB RAM, JellyBean 4.3
- iBook G4, 1GHz, 1.25GB RAM, Tiger 10.4.11
- Archos 80 G9 Turbo 250GB, Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Mac Pro, 2.93 GHz, 8GB RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

What does Network say in System Preferences about connection? Is the Mac Pro actually connecting to the net and can you download emails? Modems and routers do die, particularly if you have experienced electrical storms of late.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
What does Network say in System Preferences about connection? Is the Mac Pro actually connecting to the net and can you download emails? Modems and routers do die, particularly if you have experienced electrical storms of late.
Evidently this problem was caused by a virus ...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3278007

I followed the instructions from the link in the above thread ... Problem solved! Safari is back to normal now.

To answer your questions: Network showed that I was connected to the Internet. My Archos tablet was connected to the Internet. My son's computer was also connected to the Internet (all through my Router).

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Without looking it up it was not a virus, there are no Mac OS X viruses, but probably malware of some description. Anyone been downloading from dodgy sites by chance?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Malware from a file that got downloaded and installed called FlashPlayer.Pkg. Glad you got it fixed.
QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Malware from a file that got downloaded and installed called FlashPlayer.Pkg. Glad you got it fixed.
Yes, I remember now that had received a message telling me that my FlashPlayer was outdated and that I needed to download and install the most recent version, which I tried, but it didn't work ....

Guess I fell for the trap ....

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vja4Him View Post
Yes, I remember now that had received a message telling me that my FlashPlayer was outdated and that I needed to download and install the most recent version, which I tried, but it didn't work ....

Guess I fell for the trap ....
When prompted to update something a good rule is to go to the mfg.'s site
also visit several forums to check compatibility and performance issues.
QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
When prompted to update something a good rule is to go to the mfg.'s site
also visit several forums to check compatibility and performance issues.
I can see now that I will need to be more careful .....

QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

A few days ago Safari would no longer go online, so I deleted the com.apple.Safari.plist file, then relaunched Safari and it worked!

This morning, I launched Safari, and it would not go online. I opened up Firefox with no problem, which is where I'm posting this message from.

I've tried trashing the com.apple.Safari.plist several times this morning, then relaunching Safari, but it will still not go online.

Any other ideas of how to solve this issue ... ???

QUOTE Thanks
vja4Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by vja4Him View Post
A few days ago Safari would no longer go online, so I deleted the com.apple.Safari.plist file, then relaunched Safari and it worked!

This morning, I launched Safari, and it would not go online. I opened up Firefox with no problem, which is where I'm posting this message from.

I've tried trashing the com.apple.Safari.plist several times this morning, then relaunching Safari, but it will still not go online.

Any other ideas of how to solve this issue ... ???
I ran Disk Warrior but Safari will still not go online ....

Tried trashing the plist several more times, but that didn't do any good either.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for program to open .asp file | Help with "office" needed asap!! »