New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Moving / Resizing Formatting Palette (Word / Excel 2008)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chgboyd

chgboyd is on a distinguished road

I have a workstation where I have multiple monitors and I use a HengeDock to dock my MacBook. The setup is awesome in a billion ways, but it's definitely caused some hassle in terms of moving / resizing windows when I switch from using the docking station to using the laptop by itself.

I've been able to solve almost every window moving/resizing problem EXCEPT dealing with the "Formatting Palette" in Word and Excel. On the Word side, I have an Applescript that I execute to resize the active window, and I use a convenient keyboard shortcut to bring it up. *(see below for the applescript I'm using)

Unfortunately, even when the window is resized, the Formatting Palette stays where it is, and I always end up having to move it manually.

I've found some forums online where folks say to use the following script to move the Formatting Palette:
tell application "Microsoft Word"
tell command bar "formatting palette"
set visible to true
set {top, left position} to {100, 700}
end tell
end tell

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work at all. I've tried changing the position, and it has no effect whatsoever. The Formatting Palette just sits there, stubborn as a mule.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Or another way to easily automate moving the Formatting Palette?

And, while I'm at it, does anyone know if there's a way to resize a particular panel within the Formatting Palette? I have a ton of styles that I use, and I'd love to have the Styles panel show more than 5 styles at a time...

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

APPLESCRIPT TO RESIZE WORD WINDOW:
set menubarHeight to 22
set screenWidth to word 3 of (do shell script "defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver | grep -w Width") as number
set screenHeight to word 3 of (do shell script "defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver | grep -w Height") as number

tell application "Microsoft Word"
activate
set the bounds of active window to {40, menubarHeight, (screenWidth * 0.86), screenHeight * 0.9}
end tell
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for Simple Text Editor for Multiple Files | How can I improve Skype quality »