New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

The Sims 3, New MacBook Pro 15"" w/ Lion, CAN IT HAPPEN??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jchristi

jchristi is on a distinguished road

Ok so heres the thing, Ive heard a lot of negative feedback stating that The Sims 3 does NOT work well once people have upgraded to Lion.
But I did not upgrade to Lion, I bought my MBPRO with it.
Now according to my research, most of these crashes are caused due to the fact that these macs do not have the preferred/needed graphics card.
Now I plan to install The Sims 3, all expansion and stuff packs. Also install new ones as they are released. What I need to know is will they run decently on my MacBook Pro before I go buy the games.
Here are my specs.

Computer: MacBook Pro 15" Version 10.7

Build: 11A511

Processor: 2GHz Intel Core i7

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 / Type: GPU / VRAM (Total): 384 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Serial-ATA: Intel 6 Series Chipset, TOSHIBA MK5065GSXF - Capacity: 500.11 GB

This mac has "Thunderbolt"

Not sure if this is too much info lol, but I really need some help.
I have a 500GB Harddrive, and still have about 450GB left, so I know I have enough of that. Just don't know if the graphics and what not are ready for this. I really want to have my sims on my mac though.. Please give me your feedback.

Joey Christi
Platform Director
US Education TV
jchristi@useducationtv.com
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Box says Intel GMA X3100. Don't know about X3000. If there is one I would download trial and try it.
QUOTE Thanks
jchristi

Ok, ill look and see.

Joey Christi
Platform Director
US Education TV
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristi View Post
Computer: MacBook Pro 15" Version 10.7

Processor: 2GHz Intel Core i7

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 / Type: GPU / VRAM (Total): 384 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Are you 100% sure of these system specs? The only 15" MacBook Pro with a 2.0ghz "i7" cpu that I can find has the Radeon HD 6490M graphics hardware.

To be more specific (from Everymac.com):

"*This system has dual graphics processors -- an AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor with 256 MB of dedicated GDDR5 SDRAM and Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory."

I'm pretty sure that the newest model MacBook Pro Apple has to offer shouldn't have a problem running Sims 3.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jchristi

Yes I forgot to add the AMD Radeon HD 6490M one,
are you sure?

Joey Christi
Platform Director
US Education TV
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristi View Post
Yes I forgot to add the AMD Radeon HD 6490M one,
are you sure?
Am I sure of what?...that Sims 3 will run on your laptop?

If you want more confidence that Sims 3 will run on your computer...contacting the developers of Sims 3 is probably the best action.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Also remember that Sims 3 is not a brand new game...it's been out for a while. Your computer is actually NEWER than Sims 3...so there is/was no way for the developer of Sims 3 to include your computers specs to 100% convince you that Sims 3 will run on your computer (of course they could update their website)...but they don't always do this.

Here's the Macintosh system specs for Sims 3:

System Requirements - The Game - Community - The Sims 3

Notice at the bottom it does list more compatible video hardware for the Macintosh. But still remember...your Macintosh is newer than Sims 3...thus your computers video hardware isn't listed.

This happens all the time with software. Newer computer models are always being released...and thus their hardware specs are not always listed on the software system specs on the package or the website.

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Don't know what the OP heard about Sims 3, but from their forums and other inputs, it flat out does not run in Lion. And waiting for Electronic Arts to fix it may be a futile effort. (It's an old game.)

We've been answering quite a few posts about Sims 3 as it's one of the more popular games. So far the news about getting it to work in Lion has been all bad.
QUOTE Thanks
melancholia

melancholia is on a distinguished road

hey,

i'm sorry for renewing this issue,

I got the same hardware (on a macpro 15' with a matt screen, dunno if that matters?)
and actually Sims 3 runs quite well, not perfect, but o.k.,

BUT the graphics are totally gross? they simply look like sims 1, at least somehow
it's totally not what it should look like or what it actually looks like on a pc.
Lines are not lines, but something like stepping down, the sims are sims but not realistic as they should be. speed is all well, tried to increase the solution and details in the sims menu itself, but yeah....nothing happened. Found no glitches yet, though. It's simply a matter of resolution, I guess.

Is there yet any patch or trick or whatsoever available to make it look better? i actually couldn't find anything...

As i started the whole sims 3 the first time it actually said that it probably would work that well since the graphic card was not the one needed (but better!? or did i dream that it said this?)

Please help!
It really want to sims again
Thank you in Advance,
m.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Folder backup/sync | downloading problems in Safari »