New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Carbon Copy Cloner - backup error

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stugots945

stugots945 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys...I'm a newbie when it comes to backups. Only been doing this since I got my MBP a few months ago. CCC worked absolutely fine until last week when this error popped up. I don't do much on my computer (moving folders, etc.) so this literally came out of nowhere. I tried running repair permissions in disk utility but it didn't work. Any thoughts on how to fix it?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-07-31 at 2.34.39 PM.png (459.4 KB, 29 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

We might possibly be able to help if we knew what the error was you're receiving. The image you posted is too small to be able to read. Also, make sure you have the latest version of CCC installed. They recently in the last week posted two updates which had to do with Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Have you been using MainMenu as a system cleaner ? bc there is a lot (85%) of the errors are to do with MainMenu/CoreServices/Resources and Languages

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Looks like you used monolingual or some other app to remove extra languages.

Best I can suggest if CCC has an issue with that is to copy all of those individual existing resource folders from your internal into the back up. You've only looking at about 5 folders.

Just one more of those things why most of us no longer recommend those type of applications. If you're worried about the <1GB of space the extra languages are taking up, it's time for a new larger drive.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
stugots945

Thanks guys. I don't even know what Main Menu or Monolingual are. Haven't used them. I originally set it to copy everything to the back up except for my itunes folder, which I like to manually manage. I do believe the problem occurred since I updated the CCC program. Could this be a result of it?

I just don't understand CCC's instructions on fixing it. Could anybody give me the layman's approach?

Many thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Personally, I'd just erase the drive and start over with a new clone. Be faster than trying to figure out how to fix it.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Just erase the drive, make sure it's formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled, GUID scheme, and start over. A new backup will take awhile especially if you have a large amount of data to clone.
QUOTE Thanks
stugots945

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I agree. Just erase the drive, make sure it's formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled, GUID scheme, and start over. A new backup will take awhile especially if you have a large amount of data to clone.
The problem is that this drive is also used as a master itunes library. I have all of my music burned onto it. That's something I can't start over. Is there a way to delete everything but the music and just backup the laptop again?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

This is an external drive we're referring to, right? If so, it should be partitioned so that CCC has its own partition to clone to. Otherwise CCC will overwrite the complete drive each time it clones.

And as Tattoo mentions, it looks like many of the errors are associated with main menu and languages.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

If you're using it like that, you should have 2 partitions, 1 for CCC and another for the iTunes library?

You only erase and start over with the CCC partition.

And other question - where is your iTunes library backup?

(chscag types faster than I do)

QUOTE Thanks
stugots945

I definitely appreciate these responses. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I asked a lot of people if I should partition and the consensus was no. Now, they may be wrong. But that's why I went this way. I was told that the beauty of CCC is that it allows you to share the backup drive with other needs. Unlike something like Time Machine, which turns an external into a complete backup and nothing else. I see the disadvantage of this choice now, but I'm kinda stuck in this boat.

My setup is that my MBP is backed up every day, incrementally, to an Iomega external HD. The only exception is the iTunes folder. This isn't backed up because I created a separate iTunes library called MASTER on the Iomega. This is where I am ripping all of my massive CD collection to at high quality. Even when all is said and done, it should only take up about 1/4 of the 1 TB Iomega.

I'm unsure why CCC is acting funny because I changed nothing and honestly, this may sound sad, but I really don't use this computer for anything other than internet, music and word processing. I'm not a techie, so I wouldn't dream of manually managing any folders. Like I said, I did notice the problem after I updated to the current version of CCC.

Is it possible to delete the scheduled backup task and creating the same one again? Or will this just create a second backup on the Iomega rather than continue the incremental backup?

There are instructions how to fix this on the CCC error report, but they don't make much sense to a guy like me.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

I'll let chscag respond related to CCC since he uses it. I use SuperDuper! From my understanding CCC is just like SD! in that it creates a bootable backup and nothing else can be stored on that partition.

However, whoever told you that TM takes over a drive/partition was sorely mistaken. A single partition can in fact hold a TM backup and other data. While not recommended to be used in this way, I've been doing it for almost 4 years from 10.5 - 10.6 - 10.7. I have one drive that holds a TM backup from 3 Macs along with a partial iTunes backup and a copy of all the drivers for my Win 7 machine.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Wow, I don't know who advised you about how to use CCC, but they were wrong. And, your idea of how TM works is likewise wrong.

CCC can not share an external hard drive unless the drive is partitioned and the CCC clone is copied to its own partition. If you leave data on a drive that CCC uses to clone, it will be overwritten or deleted. And yes, bobtomay is correct in that CCC creates a bootable backup and can not share the drive with anything else.

Time Machine on the other hand can share an external hard drive with other data although I recommend not doing so. However, TM backups are not bootable.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

At this point, I'd suggest you open up Disk Utility with the external connected and post a screen shot of it.

(I should note, that if I didn't have separate bootable backups, I would not be storing other data on my TM backup volume.)

QUOTE Thanks
stugots945

Is this what you mean? Just a note, I don't believe I set anything up to be a bootable disk. Just a backup of material. I have so little stuff on my computer. Just docs and photos. I wanted to store the large amounts of music on a drive mainly and just move what I want on and off the laptop when I travel. That's why I don't back up the iTunes folder on the MBP>

Do you think if I manually delete the folders CCC is pointing out, it will just back those up correctly now?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-08-02 at 7.50.16 AM.png (110.3 KB, 11 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari video blank | What is this icon? »