New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Gamer and student new in the mac world

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Platar

Platar is on a distinguished road

Well i just bought a mbp. It will arrive in 6 days and its my first time i will own a mac. I know i will not regret, but i would like some advices so i can use it and see its potential... Okay, firstly I play WoW and I wonder if i can run it at max settings. Also I would like to know where I can get warcraft 3 RoC and Frozen Throne for Mac. I know the installer is hybrid but can someone post where I can download it. ( could be by torrents) also which torrent downloader is the best one. Also I would appreciate it if you could give me some tips about the Mac. Finally if you could give me names of some useful programs that would make me use my mac better and use his potential. Also would i need vlc??? Is it available for mac or messenger, Ares = to download music( if theres one better i'll be accepting recomendations). Can some help me??
I know there were other laptops, but common, its a mac not a plastic computer that with one fall its gone and that lasts 6 month running good. I hope im in the right point so i can enjoy the mac i've wanted since a long time ago. Also, what are your opinions about os x lion??
Thank you...sorry if I had bad english, it not my main language, spanish is
Muchas gracias, si pueden responder todo estaria mas que agradecido.

My mac settings are:

15-inch: 2.2 GHz
2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
256GB Solid State Drive
MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platar View Post
Well i just bought a mbp. It will arrive in 6 days and its my first time i will own a mac. I know i will not regret, but i would like some advices so i can use it and see its potential... Okay, firstly I play WoW and I wonder if i can run it at max settings.
You're best off consulting this handy guide to WoW performance on Macs right in Blizzard's Mac Technical Support forum. That said, the information there assumes you're using Snow Leopard. If you just got your Mac, it's probably running Lion. Performance on Lion is said to be markedly better than on Snow Leopard, so you'll want to probably use the guide as a starting point and then crank up your settings from there until you figure out what you're machine's limit is.

Quote:
Also I would like to know where I can get warcraft 3 RoC and Frozen Throne for Mac. I know the installer is hybrid but can someone post where I can download it. ( could be by torrents) also which torrent downloader is the best one.
You can download a native Mac installer directly from your Account page on Battle.net. Just type in the CD key, and you'll have the installer available to you forever, no CD required.

Quote:
Also I would appreciate it if you could give me some tips about the Mac.
chas_m has a neat sticky thread in the Switcher Hangout forum. You can start there.

Quote:
Finally if you could give me names of some useful programs that would make me use my mac better and use his potential.
Virgeist's reply in this thread is so useful, he should have his own sticky thread in my opinion.

Quote:
Also would i need vlc???
There is a Mac version of VLC, but as suggested by the link above, there are better options. My personal favorite is MPlayer OSX Extended because it allows me to compile my own mplayer binaries to keep its playback capabilities up-to-date with the newest mplayer svn revisions, but for general "I just want it to work and not be scared by all the options" use, MPlayerX may be better.

Quote:
Is it available for mac or messenger, Ares = to download music( if theres one better i'll be accepting recomendations). Can some help me??
There is no Mac version of Ares, but there are a number of very capable alternatives. I don't know whether discussing this further would be a breach of forum rules given the primary purpose of Ares, though. Feel free to PM me with further questions, though.

Quote:
I know there were other laptops, but common, its a mac not a plastic computer that with one fall its gone and that lasts 6 month running good. I hope im in the right point so i can enjoy the mac i've wanted since a long time ago.
The people on this forum are generally very helpful. I'd recommend breaking up your posts a little in the future, though; fishing through that wall of text was a hassle.

Quote:
Also, what are your opinions about os x lion??
I'm not upgrading my primary machine until some of the problems with its current state get resolved. It seems like a great upgrade for someone heavily invested in WoW, though.

Quote:
Thank you...sorry if I had bad english, it not my main language, spanish is
Muchas gracias, si pueden responder todo estaria mas que agradecido.
Cool. I hope this was helpful.
QUOTE Thanks
Platar

Platar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
You're best off consulting this handy guide to WoW performance on Macs right in Blizzard's Mac Technical Support forum. That said, the information there assumes you're using Snow Leopard. If you just got your Mac, it's probably running Lion. Performance on Lion is said to be markedly better than on Snow Leopard, so you'll want to probably use the guide as a starting point and then crank up your settings from there until you figure out what you're machine's limit is.
Thanks, it says my mac will run 70-85. Hope it does. Very useful.

Quote:
You can download a native Mac installer directly from your Account page on Battle.net. Just type in the CD key, and you'll have the installer available to you forever, no CD required.
Oh, I'll have to search it..I bought it like 4 years ago and lost it :S...

Quote:
chas_m has a neat sticky thread in the Switcher Hangout forum. You can start there.
Thanks!!!Those were very very useful. This link was very useful. Apple - Support - Switch 101

Quote:
Virgeist's reply in this thread is so useful, he should have his own sticky thread in my opinion.
I agree with you, its very good for new mac users.

Quote:
There is a Mac version of VLC, but as suggested by the link above, there are better options. My personal favorite is MPlayer OSX Extended because it allows me to compile my own mplayer binaries to keep its playback capabilities up-to-date with the newest mplayer svn revisions, but for general "I just want it to work and not be scared by all the options" use, MPlayerX may be better.
Im going to download Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian but try mplayerx as well.

Quote:
There is no Mac version of Ares, but there are a number of very capable alternatives. I don't know whether discussing this further would be a breach of forum rules given the primary purpose of Ares, though. Feel free to PM me with further questions, though.
Ares R.I.P :S

Quote:
Cool. I hope this was helpful.
Yes it was. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
xxmacbethxx

xxmacbethxx is on a distinguished road

i think he pin pointed just about everything else

how ever here are a few things i use!

i use Vuze to help me download the blizzard patch TORRENTS and as a MEDIA server
i love VLC on my mac i also got divx player
i got WC3:FT from walmart for like $20 and it was updated to the point were i didnt need cd after install

now for lion

i did it this is what happend with my games...
Bioshock-- lost in game pointer exploisions turned purple.
World of warcraft couldnt start game using the luancher said it needed to be in the same place as the installer or something. so i started the game via regular icon every option box click box or whater was blacked out i didnt even end up getting online with it.
Starcraft 2: i fell to a glitch were when i start it it takes me to SC2 launcer it then says finished and opens the game and does a loop
warcraft : samething as WoW only in game everything you can click on with a mouse was black

you should be able to play WoW on max settings or atleast at very good settings i think i was able to play it on my macbook 2009 at medium settings and get 70 fps minimum in ORG and Dalaran.

i am now using SL again everythign runs great! (besides the endless SC2 loop again)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto emails and Thunderbird | Itunes »