New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Using Print Finder Items in Automator

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bo98

Bo98 is on a distinguished road

On both my iMac and my MBP, I can't seem to be able to select a printer using the Print Finder Items action in Automator. There is no list to choose from. Any ideas?

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I bet you have version 1.0.1 of this action as I do. It seems that the version of that action which did what you want was 1.0. Look at the Quick Print section of this article..

I have not found a solution yet. If you have a copy of the older version around try adding it to your Automator installation. Sometimes two actions can coexist without issues. When it is time to create a workflow simply choose the one that best fits what you want to do.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Bo98

EDIT: See post 4
QUOTE Thanks
Bo98

I found this via Google. I'm not sure whether is safe to download or use though.

Index of /System/Library/Automator/Print Finder Items.action
QUOTE Thanks
Bo98

I have 1.0.1 unfortunately. Does Snow Leopard have 1.0 or 1.0.1? I have Lion which has 1.0.1 but I have a backup of all files I had in SL.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I still have Snow Leopard on a hard drive so I searched for the older version. I think I found it at Download Automator Fun Apps Set 1 for Mac - Set of 24 Automator applications. MacUpdate.com but unfortunately Lion identifies it as Power PC. Unless someone comes up with a Rosetta alternative that one is out of the question.

I am not much of an AppleScripter but I wonder if it is possible to use AppleScript to define the printer before running that action. I took a cursory look in Automator but did not find anything that looked appropriate.

QUOTE Thanks
Bo98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I still have Snow Leopard on a hard drive so I searched for the older version. I think I found it at Download Automator Fun Apps Set 1 for Mac - Set of 24 Automator applications. MacUpdate.com but unfortunately Lion identifies it as Power PC. Unless someone comes up with a Rosetta alternative that one is out of the question.

I am not much of an AppleScripter but I wonder if it is possible to use AppleScript to define the printer before running that action. I took a cursory look in Automator but did not find anything that looked appropriate.
I wonder why it identifies it as PPC as it claims that it supports Intel too:

REQUIREMENTS
PPC / Intel, Mac OS X 10.4 or later.

I did find a link to Print Finder Items.action via Google. It could be 1.0 (I'm not sure). I can't seem to be able to post links (EDIT: Got it to work. See post #3 for link) in this forum but if you search for "print finder items.action site:f2dd.info" (without quotation marks), you should find it (first link on my machine). I don't know whether it's safe to download and use though.

(also - congrats on your 1,700th post! )
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Thanks I will check that out. I think that what is happening here is that the action step itself is PowerPC code. It will run on both but running on Intel requires Rosetta. If it were a Universal Binary it would have both the Intel and Power PC code. Universal binaries will generally run under Lion because they have both Intel and Power PC code. It just runs the Intel code under Lion.

QUOTE Thanks
Bo98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Thanks I will check that out. I think that what is happening here is that the action step itself is PowerPC code. It will run on both but running on Intel requires Rosetta. If it were a Universal Binary it would have both the Intel and Power PC code. Universal binaries will generally run under Lion because they have both Intel and Power PC code. It just runs the Intel code under Lion.
Let me know how you get on with it when you can. I'm going to download it later today once I get back home.
QUOTE Thanks
chris.shaffer

chris.shaffer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo98 View Post
I found this via Google. I'm not sure whether is safe to download or use though.

Index of /System/Library/Automator/Print Finder Items.action
The above link is now a 403 not found. Any suggestions for how to select a specific printer using this automator action?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Open Office for the Mac | Apple Colour strokes »