New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Where does the saved data go when you install a game?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Vanguard

Vanguard is on a distinguished road

I have downloaded and installed "Plants VS Zombies" a while back. I had decided to do a clean installation of the operating system, and saved the .dmg file. However, my saved data was all erased.

I am still sort of new to the iMac, and was curious where such saved data was stored on the system.

Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Most games save their data to:

MacIntosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Name of the game

It should be in a folder that's the same name as the game.
QUOTE Thanks
Vanguard

Vanguard is on a distinguished road

thanks for the quick reply. I found it. I've been looking all over for that too.

thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
Young Spade

Young Spade is on a distinguished road

Just for future reference, I've also had game data saved in the Documents folder; the main one inside your name.
QUOTE Thanks
safarisurfer

safarisurfer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13 inch 2012 Air

i bought plants vs zombies for my mom. thought she would have fun with it. she couldnt figure it out and said there was no instruction how to play. maybe she just wasnt looking in the right spot. either way she thought the game was stupid. oh well i tried.
QUOTE Thanks
cary chilton

cary chilton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Most games save their data to:

MacIntosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Name of the game

It should be in a folder that's the same name as the game.
Doesn't seem right, get info shows games like call of duty at 100 mb....
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Note that the above is for "most games" as I stated.

I've never played "Call of Duty" so it's possible that it uses a different location. Size of the game and save data doesn't matter. It's up to the developer where to store it. However, the standard is as I answered above.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Some games will stores saved data in a folder inside the main Applications folder if I remember correctly. If these games are storing cache files the folders can take up space quickly. Perhaps that is what's happening with COD.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« languages | imac recording problem »