New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

set date in Mac Mail 4.5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drflip

drflip is on a distinguished road

Mail shows January as the month while it is July.
The date on my Mac is ok.
Cannot find a way to set it right,

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Are you saying that your outgoing mail and incoming mail shows the incorrect date, January instead of July? Which ISP are you using?
QUOTE Thanks
drflip

Thanks
My provider doesn't matter (Versatel/Tele2).
This seems to be a mystery problem, see https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

In webmail the date is correct by the way.
I think I upgraded Leopard because for a while the date on my Mac was wrong (jan 2009 I believe) which was easy to set right, only the mail didn't follow
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

It seems the Mail program is confused. As the thread you referred to pointed out - sometimes it's the date that's messed up, other times it's the time that's off by hours.

I would try removing the Mail program and reinstalling it. Backup all your mail folders first before doing so otherwise they'll be lost. You didn't mention which version of OS X you're running but assuming it's Leopard or Snow Leopard, you can extract the mail program from the DVD to reinstall.

You may need to download Pacifist to do the extraction.
QUOTE Thanks
drflip

Thanks, that's probaly a good idea, HOWEVER, I just discovered that Finder has the wrong date too, so the problem is probably located deeper in the system. Strangely in the upper right hand corner the date and time are correct.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Let's try this. Navigate to.....

MacIntosh HD/users/your user name/library/preferences/

And look for these two files: com.apple.finder.plist and com.apple.mail.plist

When you find them, drag them to your desktop or you can delete them but do not empty the Trash.

Restart the machine. Let's see if the date picks up correctly from the system. If that doesn't work, replace the two files back to their original locations.
QUOTE Thanks
drflip

My first response apparently didn't come through.
I wrote your suggestion was perfectly doable but didn't work.
Also I said my inbox and 'sent messages' were suddenly empty, but this was miraculously resolved.

Yet, I'm sorry to say, the original problem still remains....
QUOTE Thanks
drflip

I followed an earlier suggestion, copied all my mail files, deinstalled Mail and reinstalled it from the orgininal installation DVD, BUT now I can't open mail because, I quote:

"I use version 4.0 (1075/1084) of Mail. This version cannot be used with Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 (build 10K540)."

I'm advised to update my software which I did, but it didn't update Mail!!!:

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

This is one of the problems that can occur when trying to reinstall Mail or any other built in application after the OS has been updated.

Rather than going through any more hassles let's do this:

Until OS X Lion is released (it will have an entirely new mail application included) what I suggest is download the free Thunderbird Mail Client from Mozilla and install it. It's very easy to use and setup and integrates nicely with most web mail providers. After Lion is released and you update (your choice of course) you can switch back to the built in Mail client of OS X. Hopefully the date problem will be resolved.

By the way, you may actually like Thunderbird better than Mac Mail. I use Thunderbird myself and also for its news reader.
QUOTE Thanks
drflip

I'll try that, but not right now, since I spent hours trying to solve this & am lagging behind.
I'm working on a non-fiction book and in the process of ordering all my material which is a real hassle, because all my documents seems fabricated in January 2009, 2010 or 2011: so I can't distinguish earlier and later versions unless they're more than a year apart which most aren't...

Which makes me think once more if Mail is really at the core of this problem.

Why, for instance don't I reinstall the whole Mac OS-programm? Or will other parts of it then also be too old for udates? (March 2010 seems to be really, really old...)

flip
QUOTE Thanks
drflip

Problems, advices and results so far:

Since I upgraded snow leopard my incoming and outgoing mails in mac Mail are dated January, s my mail-archive is destroyed
advice: remove mail plist file and (because the problem may be deeper in the system) also finder.plist)
result: none
advice: remove mac Mail and reinstall from dvd which dates from March 2010.
So I copied all me folders and did
result: Mac Mail doesn’t run at all anymore, because Mail 4.0 is not compatible with Mac OS X Version 10.6.8. I lost my Mail-address book, which cannot be accessed anymore
advice: “these tings happen”, wait for Os X Lion, meanwhile install Thunderbird.
I did, or at least tried
Result: didn’t find an uncorrupted Thunderbird version, among other problems it got stuck on the spell-checker
On my own – since I have ms office for mac, both 2008 and 2011, I installed Entourage: Mac 2008, Version 12.2.0, Last update 12.2.8
Result: date is okay, I receive mail but can’t send any: Error -17895
My mail-provider doesn’t support Mac. Searching through MicrosoftAnswers@microsoft.com I find a list of error-messages, but the link doesn’t work, nor does the community recognize my problem. The outgoing smtp server is correctly installed, but somewhere in the program outgoing mail is prevented. I looked everywhere I could think of but didn’t find where or how.
So now I communicate through webmail and thank god for gmail, but still my mail archive is in shambles, and I have to import my addresses from address book.

Could the problem be that my internet provider (xs4all) and mail server (versatel) are different?

Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
nipunsoni

nipunsoni is on a distinguished road

You might want to consider Outlook 2011, if you bought the Home Student Edition of Office 2011 - you will have a 30 day trial and then you will need to buy it (in some countries it is not available)

There is a chance your mail is actually still on your mac and not lost. If you are familiar with your mac, you will need to navigate to <YOUR USER>/Library/Mail if there is any data here copy it to a drive. Sometimes you can view the individual mail messages which are stored in .emlx format. You can convert these mails using EMLX to MBOX converter:
http://www.cosmicsoft.net/emlxconvert.html

Finally, check and make sure your time zone settings are correct in System Preferences.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
drflip

Tnanks for the suggestion. Tried it though, having worked in Outlook for a long time, but didn't like it at all. I have offiice 2011 and indeed the student edition, but there were several problems, such as spelling check got stuck at the first word!
Thanks anyway, flip
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail & Stationary | running exe file with dmg files? »