New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Epson Scan utility

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

Does anyone have any ideas how I can configure the scanner on my Epson 800. The current version from Epson needs Roseeta to run. I need a solution that allows me to configure the scanner under Lion. Since Lion no longer supports Rosetta I need a fix for this. I use this printer as a network printer so configuring as USB is not an option.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdejt View Post
Does anyone have any ideas how I can configure the scanner on my Epson 800. The current version from Epson needs Roseeta to run. I need a solution that allows me to configure the scanner under Lion. Since Lion no longer supports Rosetta I need a fix for this. I use this printer as a network printer so configuring as USB is not an option.
Will VueScan do the trick for you?
VueScan 9 Scanning Software for Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) and Linux
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 Ghz Quad Core i7,SSD,3TB Fusio Fusion,32GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 128GB SSD, 500GB HD, 8GB

++1 for Vuescan. If your scanner is on the list of supported scanners it is a great program and is constantly kept up to date.
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

Vuescan won't let me configure my scanner. The problem I am having is that my Artisan800 is connected via network. The Epson Scan Utility lets you configure Epson Scan so that it knows where the scanner is. Currently there is no software that I can find that will let me configure Epson scan to see my scanner. I have contacted Epson and all I get is that their working on it.
I noticed that Epson now has a Lion page and their answer is to download the Epson Scan utility and that should work however it required Rosetta to run and Lion doesn't support Rosetta. Furthermore the Epson Scan Utility is a PowerPC Application and not a Universal or Intel version. I have once again contacted Epson to see if they are going to get up to speed or are they going to abandon us Mac users because they are lazy. All of the other Epson Apps they have are either Intel or Universal, why can't they update this one? I know just plain lazy.....

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I noticed that Epson now has a Lion page and their answer is to download the Epson Scan utility and that should work however it required Rosetta to run and Lion doesn't support Rosetta. Furthermore the Epson Scan Utility is a PowerPC Application and not a Universal or Intel version. I have once again contacted Epson to see if they are going to get up to speed or are they going to abandon us Mac users because they are lazy. All of the other Epson Apps they have are either Intel or Universal, why can't they update this one? I know just plain lazy.....
If their FAQ page for Lion says to run an app that is incapable of running under Lion, then I'd be questioning just how committed they are to supporting Macs. There's just no excuse for them to post something so blatantly wrong.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

It gets better. I have tried at least 3 times that their app is a PowerPC app and not supported under Lion and all they can say is follow this link (which points to their PPC app) or they just tell me to run the app. I mean really what does it take all the rest of apps are wither Universal or Intel so what's the problem.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

? Have you tried using Image Capture? That's what I use for my network attached HP.
Never did any set up for it aside from setting the printer side of it up in System Preferences.

Can't really respond to the Lion portion since it has not been released as of this point in time.

If all the drivers for that Epson are PPC, boy that sucks. Have those guys had their heads stuck in a hole or what?

Only an idea here - you might try setting it up via USB, then connect it back to the route and see if the system can find it and use the drivers already installed.

Guessing we might be seeing a fair number of these 3rd party hardware issues with Lion.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

It's not a problem with the drivers but the Scan Utility tells Epson Scan app where to find the scanner. So unless I can get it configured no scanner software will ever be able to find my all in one printer at it's ip to configure the scanner.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

Ok I got it figured out without Epson's help. I installed the Scan Utility for a different all in one. I have the Artisan 800, and I downloaded the Scan utility and driver for the Artisan 835 since it is using a newer version of the Scan Utility. It is 3.77 vice 3.44 (which is the PPC app) Once installed I then reinstalled the scan package for the 800 which installed only the driver and not the config utility. Now I can configure my scanner via network. When I checked system Profiler I now show now epson software that is PPC it is all Universal. Whereas before when I installed the 3.44 software it showed it was a PPC application.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Ok I got it figured out without Epson's help. I installed the Scan Utility for a different all in one. I have the Artisan 800, and I downloaded the Scan utility and driver for the Artisan 835 since it is using a newer version of the Scan Utility. It is 3.77 vice 3.44 (which is the PPC app) Once installed I then reinstalled the scan package for the 800 which installed only the driver and not the config utility. Now I can configure my scanner via network. When I checked system Profiler I now show now epson software that is PPC it is all Universal. Whereas before when I installed the 3.44 software it showed it was a PPC application.
Nice tip! Glad you got it sorted.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

With all the trouble I had it just goes to show that Epson Tech Support uses the check list method.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
With all the trouble I had it just goes to show that Epson Tech Support uses the check list method.
Reminds me of the time when I had a problem years ago in which, after installing new drivers, I lost use of my Logitech Keyboard and Mouse in Windows 2000. Thankfully I was dual-booting something else, so I was able to email them, but got replies with solutions that all required use of the keyboard and/or mouse. *sigh* I ended up figuring out how to fix it myself from the Win98 partition.

------
------
------
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MPEG audio problems. | Exporting jpegs from iPhoto »