New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Office for Mac 2011 saving issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marin72

marin72 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 10.6.7, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3. iPod (4th generation) and iPhone4

OK, i finally had to break down and buy Office for Mac 2011. sigh. And now I can't save my document. Nor can i set up autorecovery/autosave. I keep getting error messages.

*Here's what i get when I try to "save" the document:
"Word cannot save this document due to a naming or permissions error on the destination volume. (filename.doc)"

*Now having used Word for many many years (any word processing program) I understand the need to set up the autorecovery and autosave function. so, i get an error associated with that function. when it tries to save (i have it set for every 5 minutes) i get the following error messages:
"Word cannot complete the operation becuase too many files are open. (word work file A_1218625931.asd)"

i click the OK button and get this next message:

"word is unable to save the autorecover file in the location you have specified. Make sure that you have specified a valid location for autorecover files in preferences, and that you have permission to write files to the location you specified".

Can anyone PLEASE shed light on any of these issues?
Ive been using openoffice.org and pages for 1.5 years and have both of them set on autosave/recover. NEVER had this problem. And this is right out of the box. i just bought and downloaded the office for mac YESTERDAY.

I didnt see a recent thread on this . . .
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Where are you trying to save the Word files to? And where are you directing the auto recovery to go to? If you're by chance trying to save the Word files to an external source, what format is that source using? Same with auto recovery.

Or by chance, are you trying to save to a network drive?
QUOTE Thanks
marin72

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 10.6.7, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3. iPod (4th generation) and iPhone4

i'm just trying to save it in a folder on my desktop as a .doc file (but ive tried to save it as a .docx too) so nowhere fancy and complicated. Ive also tried other places on my hard drive: documents, other folders. i've never had this problem, even with my work HP that runs MS Office. i've looked at permissions (set to read and write), preferences have been checked. i didnt have any troubles like this with my ancient office for mac 2001 that i ran on my iMac and iBook nearly 10 years ago. am i just being a ditz?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Change .doc and/or .docx in Preferences under Save, the floppy icon, and save to Desktop and drag to folder.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
marin72

ok...i guess the program just wanted to be restarted. i should have done that in the first place but guess i was too wrapped up in trying to save my data in other places. i just quit out of Office, re-started it and now everything is saving. and autorecovery is working too. so, i guess it was me being a ditz. *shakes head in shame*
thanks for all your help(s)
QUOTE Thanks
unlimitedgeek

unlimitedgeek is on a distinguished road

My boss has office 2011 and Lion. He left a word doc open all night and got the same error. This appears to be what was happening to Office 2004. However office 2004 would crash due to too many auto saves in the directory. 254 I think. Every minute or so it would auto save once it hit that number BAM error when saving that disk was full or unavailable. Im shocked that this involves something that seems the same. See this work around. I have not tried it my self yet.
Word:mac - "Disk Full" Error

Here is the article that I found it in. Let me know if anyone gets any closer or if MS admits a issue on their part.
Word cannot complete the operation because too many files open - Microsoft Answers
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« E-mail disappearing in Mail - reinstall? | DVD Labels Don't Burn »