New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Time machine file smaller than space used on HD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andymac2210

andymac2210 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.

I've noticed the size of my time machine backup is approximately 4.5 GB's smaller than the 'used' space on my HDD, is this normal?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Your post was moved to the correct forum as it does not belong in "Switcher". Please read forum descriptions and Sticky notices before posting. Thanks.

Yes, it's normal. The initial backup (first one you made) will include everything unless you've specifically excluded certain folders and files. That backup should be approximately the same size. Subsequent backups will be smaller.
QUOTE Thanks
andymac2210

This is the first backup I made, with no folders excluded.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

How are you determining the size of your first backup? In other words, how are you viewing the backup?

I just checked my first backup to make sure, and it closely approximates the size of what I have on my hard drive. Subsequent backups are much smaller as only the changes are backed up.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

You have 4GB of RAM, it's most likely not backing up the swap space.
QUOTE Thanks
andymac2210

Here's a screenshot;

See how the time machine one is smaller?
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Actually, swap space is not the term I meant... I meant the sleepimage file. Your system sets aside some space equal to your RAM to save the contents of RAM when your system hibernates. That's your sleepimage, and it's not usually backed up. If you were to look at your drive with an app like GrandPerspective, you would see the large 4GB box that represents your sleepimage.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to remove incorrect emails from autocomplete? | Music Subscription Service WITH offline desktop play? »