New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Porting iTunes windows information to Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smx

smx is on a distinguished road

My windows laptop has finally bit the dust and I'm contemplating jumping on the mac train!

With that said, I have years of iTunes information (playcounts, ratings, date of add) associated within iTunes that I'd like to preserve and take with me to a new computer.

So the question is, is this at all entirely possible? I'm comfortable writing code myself to perform the lookups and alterations between two different files. However,I haven't found anything in my searches thus far that let's me know what I can actually edit (if anything).

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

It's been a little while, but if I recall, Windows writes the iTunes folder to My Music. If you copy that folder in its entirety to the Mac and place it in the Music folder, replacing the iTunes folder that's there, you should be able to launch iTunes, have it rebuild the database and keep on trucking.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

agreed.... though I think it's the contents of the iTunes Music folder on Windows you need.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
smx

smx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
It's been a little while, but if I recall, Windows writes the iTunes folder to My Music. If you copy that folder in its entirety to the Mac and place it in the Music folder, replacing the iTunes folder that's there, you should be able to launch iTunes, have it rebuild the database and keep on trucking.
Thanks Even, I've used that method before when I would reformat my computer. As long as the files were in the same path, it works like a charm.

If/When I move to the Mac, I know for sure it won't be able to find any of the files since well, different file structures! Now I know if it was reaaaalllly patient, I could probably click on every file and point it towards the right directory, but that would take an excessively long time. This is the scenario I'm trying to account for.

Just an FYI -- I do have the library files backed up on an external even though my main machine is dead
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reading a PDF on a PC sent from an APPLE Mac | how to remove incorrect emails from autocomplete? »