New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

What Photo App Am I Looking For?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

anifan

anifan is on a distinguished road

I'm a very amateur photo-editor. I'm looking for an application/applications that would allow me to manage photos, perform touch-ups and color adjustments beyond what iPhoto offers, and something Photoshop-esque for for editing layers and all that jazz. I used to use GIMP on Windows, but I can't stand it's non-standard UI.

Thank you for your help.

(I'm willing to pay for programs, but I can't afford anything over $100)
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifan View Post
I'm a very amateur photo-editor. I'm looking for an application/applications that would allow me to manage photos, perform touch-ups and color adjustments beyond what iPhoto offers, and something Photoshop-esque for for editing layers and all that jazz. I used to use GIMP on Windows, but I can't stand it's non-standard UI.

Thank you for your help.

(I'm willing to pay for programs, but I can't afford anything over $100)
You can get Pixelmator or Adobe PSE, either one for under $100. Adobe PSE has a free trial, so nothing to lose. For that matter you can get Aperture from the APP Store for under $100 too.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Adobe Lightroom.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Lightroom isn't normally under $100. Occasionally it is, but haven't seen that price other than for promo's and those are kind of rare. That said, I'd highly recommend Apple's own Aperture. Forewarning though.. you're not going to get layer editing as you would in PS, in either Aperture OR Lightroom.

Aperture does have a nice cloning and healing brush feature though, better than Lightroom's which I'm quite jealous of. Adobe wouldn't dare implement such a feature in LR because that would be one less reason for people to purchase Photoshop or Elements! Content aware cloning in PS is pretty much unbeatable, but Aperture does a great job if you know how to work it.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Acorn has some layering capabilities. I have it - but have done absolutely nothing with it so I can't give you first hand knowledge of a seasoned user - it was an impulse buy - but it's not that expensive. Have a look. You may be able to get what you need here and supplement either Aperture or Lightroom or other - with out the need for full fledged PS. Acorn, a great Mac image editor, built for humans.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

The App Store price for Aperture makes it almost a no-brainer. I have CS3 on Windows 7 (using bootcamp) but there are times when just simple editing is required and a full reboot to Win7 is not something I feel like doing. That is why I went ahead and got Aperture. If I were to require heavy editing (including layers) I would go ahead and boot into Win7 and use Photoshop.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
Acorn has some layering capabilities. I have it - but have done absolutely nothing with it so I can't give you first hand knowledge of a seasoned user - it was an impulse buy - but it's not that expensive. Have a look. You may be able to get what you need here and supplement either Aperture or Lightroom or other - with out the need for full fledged PS. Acorn, a great Mac image editor, built for humans.
Haven't tried Acorn but seems very similar to Pixelmator.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
anifan

anifan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help. I think I'll get Pixelmator and Apeture.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Haven't tried Acorn but seems very similar to Pixelmator.
I have Pixelmator as well - not sure why I didn't mention it in my post. In reality - I have yet to edit outside of Aperture - but then - I'm as amateur as amateur gets.
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

Any luck with Seashore? It's GIMP's smoother and sexier cousin.

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever.
-Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Father of Modern Rocketry
QUOTE Thanks
osman265aziz

osman265aziz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MB Pro 13" Mod. 2011, 4gb RAM

Acorn is a good start

FloaT lyK buttaFly.. stiNg lyk a Beee... aaaaaaaH!!
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

I have both Pixelmator and Photoshop, and use Pixelmator the most for editing images. For Library management, I use Aperture. I believe that Pixelmator is around $29 in the App Store right now, and if you buy from the App Store, you get v.2 for free when it comes out (I am pretty sure they are still running that promo).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dictionary has gone!!!! There is just wikipedia!!! | Word 2011 Bottom Toolbar Missing?! »