New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Question about Time Machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CanuckCrazy

CanuckCrazy is on a distinguished road

I looked for a general thread on time machine and could not find one.

I recently purchased an external HD to increase the free space on my hd and to back up my files. I am wondering if it is possible to have certain folders or files only on the external drive, and then to also have the rest of my files backed up with time machine.

So basically my question is can I do both of these things using time machine?

Paradise with pines and ice...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckCrazy View Post

So basically my question is can I do both of these things using time machine?
I'm guessing a more appropriate question would be, "Can you do both these things with an external drive?".

That answer would be yes, you can store your TM backups and other data on the same drive.

My question would be, what happens to the stuff you have stored on that external drive that is not on your internal drive when it dies? Are you going to be storing stuff you don't care about lising?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

If you go to disk utility you can format your external drive so that one part is exclusively for Time Machine and the other for random storage.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

My advice would be to either Partition your Time Machine drive into 2 partitions, use one partition for Time Machine and the other partition for random files you don't want kept on your computer.
Either that or buy a second external HDD for it.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
My advice would be to either Partition your Time Machine drive into 2 partitions, use one partition for Time Machine and the other partition for random files you don't want kept on your computer.
Either that or buy a second external HDD for it.

- Simon
This is what I do with one difference... the 2nd partition is for a bootable clone (SuperDuper!) instead of just random files. That takes up more space, but my external drive is only 500GB and I have no space issues. Besides, external drives are so cheap that you could affordably get a 2nd drive just for a bootable clone (SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner) or purchase a large enough drive.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Record Lectures AND play them on an IPod | Just switched to Mac Mail »