New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iMovie HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

appleXcore

appleXcore can only hope to improve

I have a 12 minute movie and I want it to be good quality. Full Quality its going to be 2.5GB and thats to large to upload to youtube. I made some adjustments in expert settings but the files keep coming out under 100MB and look awful.

the movie is made from two clips i recorded which are only 640  360 and about 200MB each H.264 compressed. I added some music and full quality being 2.5GB is beyond me....

anyway I am looking to make the movie native to the files i used @ 640  360. 700MB sounds about right but I dont know how to target that size.

OS X 10.6.4
2GB RAM
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

iMovieHD converts evrything to DV(Digital Video) at about 12Gb per hour. If you export to Quicktime at full quality, that's what you'll get. YouTube limit is now 2Gb, so if you want full quality, you'll have to make your movie shorter.

If you use iMovie9/11 you'll get the higher quality.
QUOTE Thanks
appleXcore

thats really lame that I cant target size..

I'll use FCE for my next edit.

OS X 10.6.4
2GB RAM
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Unless they've changed the rules lately, YouTube also limits "free" uploads to 10 minutes in running time AND no more than 2GB in file size.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

It's up to 15 minutes now.
QUOTE Thanks
appleXcore

ok back again. this time I have regular iMovie and a .mov file (screen record)

was looking for the best parameters to use to keep size down and quality up. any suggestions?

OS X 10.6.4
2GB RAM
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

I take it you mean iMovie 9 or 11?? From the Share menu, Export to Quicktime. Click on the Options button and in the video settings, choose h264. That should give you the best quality for the smallest file size.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« facetime email change help for macbook pro | Would a Mid 2011 21.5" iMac play MW3? »