New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

mac mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fast_eddie

fast_eddie is on a distinguished road

hello, is there any way of archiving mail on an external drive ? i want to move all my mail off my laptop, but still be able to view it somewhere else ? if not, why not ?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Try Save As under file then select your drive I would create a folder for it though.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Note: Moved to more appropriate forum. This was posted in our "off topic" forum and it's clearly an application question.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
fast_eddie

thanks for the advice, but i need a little more than that. i am trying to save 1000s of mails in 50 folders and sub folders so that i can empty mac mail and start afresh. so what do i "save as" and how is my external drive going to "read" the mails ??
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Select the Mailbox in the left pane of Mail (this would be the parent of the subfolders you want to archive). Click the Mailbox menu and then click "Archive Mailbox". It will prompt you for a destination for your archive - select your external drive.

If you want to bring your archive back, you can do so through the File menu and choose "Import Mailbox". When prompted, browse to your external and select the mailbox files that were produced by the Archive operation.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
fast_eddie

hi there, great, thanks for this. is there any way of being able to view the mails in my external drive - ie without re-importing the entire mailbox back into mail on my laptop ?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_eddie View Post
hi there, great, thanks for this. is there any way of being able to view the mails in my external drive - ie without re-importing the entire mailbox back into mail on my laptop ?
Not that I'm aware of, but if I remember correctly, the .mbox files that Mail outputs are fairly standard. So, I'm sure there's a program out there that can casually browse the files and allow you to see what's in them.

QUOTE Thanks
fast_eddie

wow ! you mean browse each individual mail in my external drive ? if you can point me in the right direction for such a programme i will be a very happy boy
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCloud and multiple accounts | Garageband microphone question »