New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

New iTunes, OS 10.7, and iCloud

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jabez

jabez is on a distinguished road

I've been reading through the press releases for the new Lion OS and how it will work with iTunes and am confused. I do not purchase my music through iTunes--my iTunes library is stocked mainly from my large CD collection and I also have a lot of my own mixes and mash-ups. The NYTimes said today that Apple will charge a $25 annual fee to store non-iStore purchased music in the iCloud. Am I forced to do this?

I have Macs and iPods, but no iPad or iPhone (yet, anyway), so synching isn't really an issue for me as long as all my home Macs can continue to share on my local network. I'm just not comfortable putting my custom mixes up on a remote server. Is Apple mandating a return to mainframes (er, sorry, going to make me use iCloud)? Will I therefore be stuck on Snow Leopard and iTunes 10.2.2 forever? What am I missing? Many thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

The basic gist of it is this. If you choose to pay for iTunes Match there will be a tool that looks through your mp3's, finds matches in the Apple Store, then makes a 256kbps AAC version available to your devices on the cloud. I do not believe that it would make any sense to 'copy' anything to their storage as they already store these files in their iTunes servers. What would make far more sense is to simply put a pointer to these files on their servers. The other two options listed were a) do nothing, and sync manually and b) if you only have a few ripped songs, buy the few that you want available on the cloud

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Agreed. Nothing will be "forced" and you won't have to sync to their servers if you don't want to.

QUOTE Thanks
jabez

jabez is on a distinguished road

Thanks for both of your replies--I get the concept much better now. I thought that there would be uploading to a server, but the matching makes more sense. Given that one can only match songs to those in the Apple Store database, it seems like I couldn't get custom mixed music in my iCloud even if I wanted to (which I don't, luckily). I'm happy as long as I have the option to continue to synch manually and not have to use the Apple Store.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Steve stated yesterday that if the music couldn't be matched then you would have to upload the song to the cloud to share the music among devoces.

QUOTE Thanks
wspahn21

wspahn21 is an unknown at this point

If we do buy iTunes match, we don't get to replace the lower quality "rip" with the AAC right?
QUOTE Thanks
OldJedi

OldJedi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 3.4 GHz i7, 8 GB Ram, SSD + HDD, Radeon HD 6970M 2GB,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspahn21 View Post
If we do buy iTunes match, we don't get to replace the lower quality "rip" with the AAC right?
I think you do.

Fear is a path to the Dark Side: Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering. ~ Yoda, Jedi Master, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
QUOTE Thanks
wspahn21

wspahn21 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I think you do.
If so then it is extremely worth the cost. They make it sound as if you can upload for the match but it doesn't replace them, just on other devices you can pull down the AAC.

I guess we won't know until it gets here.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspahn21 View Post
If so then it is extremely worth the cost. They make it sound as if you can upload for the match but it doesn't replace them, just on other devices you can pull down the AAC.

I guess we won't know until it gets here.
Pretty much. Apple does say that the only music that won't get the bit rate upgrade is that which you have to upload since it's not in their catalogue (which makes sense).

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I found that WATCHING the keynote (at least that last third where Steve explains and demos the iCloud stuff) explains it FAR better than reading about it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Copy/paste from mac mail without getting mailto | Taking Screenshot on Mac »