New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Camino

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lapis

lapis is on a distinguished road

I'm new to the Forum. I wanted to get some advice about using Camino verses other browsers such as Google Chrome?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Use whatever you're comfortable with. All browsers are modern and well supported. As for Chrome, some say it tracks your browsing habits for advertising reasons but there is no proof of this.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I think it's a preference thing.... you may want to look at this thread.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...o-you-use.html
QUOTE Thanks
MancmacUK

MancmacUK is on a distinguished road

Camino is my preferred browser, but I do need to use Safari for a couple of websites for compatibility where some text disappears, or some text boxes are extremely small.

 iMac 21.5" 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.8.3
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Camino is a reasonable if a lightweight browser, using pretty old technology from Firefox 2 and 3 days. If you are happy with it just use it. Have a read of some comments on Camino:-

Camino open source OS X web browser reaches 2.1 Alpha 1

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

I dislike Camino and other lesser known browsers because they do not have a huge pool of add-ons that can significantly augment your browsing pleasure, unlike Chrome or Firefox.

Your best bet is to try all browsers for a certain period of time. The only one who can choose the best browser is yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

I suggest sticking with Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Opera. Those are the 4 big guys, and seem to have the best features. Preference really though.

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
Janus 006

Janus 006 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 10.7.2, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD; iPhone 4S 16GB

Maybe my Macbook is just getting old, but Chrome, FF, and Safari tear through my memory. I always have multiple windows and tons of tabs running, and it's just a matter of time before things start to slow down.

You lose a lot of the flexibility with Camino, but it handles things very nicely. I love using it for normal, day-to-day browsing and rarely encounter any compliance issues. That's just my experience.
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

From what I've heard Chrome uses a different process for every tab, which means that it doesn't get bloated during extensive browsing sessions. If one page causes trouble, it doesn't bring everything down.

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever.
-Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Father of Modern Rocketry
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgeist View Post
From what I've heard Chrome uses a different process for every tab, which means that it doesn't get bloated during extensive browsing sessions. If one page causes trouble, it doesn't bring everything down.
Quite the opposite in my experience. Let me give you an example. Right now, I have the same set of tabs open in Safari. It is using 248.4MB of RAM. Right now, Chrome itself is only using 80.8MB but has spawned 8 processes which mean that Chrome is responsible for using 455.7MB. So if bloat is a concern, Chrome is probably not your best bet in terms of memory usage. In terms of how it performs though, I find the application quite responsive (I assume that this is partly because the app itself is only using 80.8MB).

One thing I learned today that is worth noting is that if a tab is opened from a current tab (say you click a link that opens a new tab), it runs in the same process as the original. It's only when you create the tab yourself that it runs in a separate process (more here if you're interested).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Van, Agreed except for one thing. Watch Safari in say 24 hours. I keep this system on a few pages open all the time. Over time Safari's memory usage climbs to sometimes 1GB in 1-2 days. Chrome does not seem to and stays more consistent even if you have a few tabs open.

The one thing I do like about Chrome and the Tabs all as separate process's, if one Tab locks, you only loose that and not the rest.

On the main topic of this thread, Camino, I used to use it a lot but it's really getting dated and not updated to the latest engines out there. It's a bit behind the times now.

I use Safari most of the time followed by Chrome and FF4 and the latest Opera!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Van, Agreed except for one thing. Watch Safari in say 24 hours. I keep this system on a few pages open all the time. Over time Safari's memory usage climbs to sometimes 1GB in 1-2 days. Chrome does not seem to and stays more consistent even if you have a few tabs open.
Yeah, memory sure does creep up quite a bit. I'll have to do an experiment when I get some free time (actually, I guess I can have these open while I do work). I'll compare it to Firefox 5 (while it only goes final next week, the final build is up now) and see how they are after a bit.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Quite the opposite in my experience. Let me give you an example. Right now, I have the same set of tabs open in Safari. It is using 248.4MB of RAM. Right now, Chrome itself is only using 80.8MB but has spawned 8 processes which mean that Chrome is responsible for using 455.7MB. So if bloat is a concern, Chrome is probably not your best bet in terms of memory usage. In terms of how it performs though, I find the application quite responsive (I assume that this is partly because the app itself is only using 80.8MB).

One thing I learned today that is worth noting is that if a tab is opened from a current tab (say you click a link that opens a new tab), it runs in the same process as the original. It's only when you create the tab yourself that it runs in a separate process (more here if you're interested).
Great read thanks.

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever.
-Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Father of Modern Rocketry
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Web Browser Browsing | Top ten Mac freeware apps? »