New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Setting up an smpt server and sending mail on mac 10.3.9

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gajbooks

gajbooks is on a distinguished road

I want to set up a smpt server and be able to send emails through my own computer. I am using mac 10.3.9 (old, i know) so if you want to give me a link to a tutorial, be sure that it is for mac 10.3 and not something newer. This may be a bit off topic for this topic, but i was unsure where to put it.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Postfix Enabler for Tiger & Panther

or, if you prefer to do it manually...

10.3: Enable the postfix Mail Transfer Agent - Mac OS X Hints

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
gajbooks

Thanks, i followed the tutorial. But i am sort of a newbie at this stuff, so how do i send mail using the sendmail command?
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

Not quite that simple. To run and enable your own mail server you need to have your own registered domain, a fixed ip address, dns servers, and finally your most likely going to have to contact your ISP to make sure they aren't blocking the ports you need. Most isp's will charge you for a fixed ip address as they tend to frown on people running servers on their networks.
QUOTE Thanks
gajbooks

I dont care if i can recieve emails (that is what i would need all that for), you did not answer my question. How do i SEND an email from the terminal using the sendmail command?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

man mail.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
gajbooks

I allready looked at the man page, it was non-informative to me. Something else please?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

If you're confused by the man pages, I'm at a loss as to why you'd be wanting to send mail from the command line. However, google unix mail and perhaps someone will have written a howto.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

Once again, if your isp is blocking the port you won't be able to send with your server but, if you get that fixed here is a link to use sendmail in Macs:
http://triphenylphosphine.endoftheinternet.org/2011/configuring-postfix-on-mac-os-x-10-6-or-how-to-get-sendmailphp-mail-working
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« System Preferences in Time Machine | itunes 4? »