New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Microsoft Word Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BaneKullas

BaneKullas is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have a 2011 Office for mac updated to 14.1.0 and I use it often.
The problem I'm having though is that after I save and close a document, in no matter what format I save it as (I've tried them all) when I open it, it creates another copy of it, every time I open it. And if I open the copy, then it creates a copy of the copy. So it's causing problems for me every time I use it.

I need help as I'm a student, and I don't have time to waste having to delete all these copies of these documents.

Oh and I've tried uninstalling and installing it again, so it isn't something to do with that. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks for the help guys.
QUOTE Thanks
chris_zgn

chris_zgn is on a distinguished road

never met this problem,but can u sure that your file is read & write format?

 Love Nye~
QUOTE Thanks
BaneKullas

I'm sure in that when I open it again, I can write on it from where I saved it?
They do open and are capable of writing on them
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Where are you trying to save it? Are you sure you have permission for that folder or drive?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
BaneKullas

It doesn't matter where I try to save it on my mac, it'll do this everywhere - on memory pens, documents folder, desktop etc.
And I definitely have permission in all of these, it's my mac, so I have access everywhere on it.

But it's not a problem saving it, it's a problem when I open it again. I think its something in the settings telling it to make a copy, because it doesn't do it to the same document on the college mac. I just don't know what.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

MS Word Preferences -> Save -> Remove the check from the box that states "Always Make a Backup Copy".

Warning.... If you turn this off, make sure you have the Autosave feature turned on and set to a short interval. If you should ever experience a crash and have neither of those options set, you could lose all your work.
QUOTE Thanks
BaneKullas

I'm afraid it isn't that either.
I went to the preferences, and it already wasn't ticked. I ticked it and closed it, saved something, tested it and then went and switched it off and tested again, just to see if it would make a difference, but it made no difference.
It wasn't that

I know it probably seems like I probably didn't describe it right, but this is definitely whats happening to my documents.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid you lost me. I don't know of any other way an Office document would be duplicated without that option being set.

Do you have any other software installed that could be duplicating those files? A program called "Forever Save" will do exactly what you described.
QUOTE Thanks
BaneKullas

YouTube - ‪Screen Recording.mov‬‏

This is what happens to my word documents.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

It appears that you are selecting "Open a copy" rather than opening the original document. Every time you do that, Word will create another copy of the document.
QUOTE Thanks
BaneKullas

It's doing that itself though, when I click on the original, it opens the other one whether I like it or not.
QUOTE Thanks
txtchr

txtchr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM

You're saving your file as Word Document Stationery. This creates a template, which can then be used over and over and over again.

When you save a file, pull down the Format option and save it as a Word document. That should (I'm hoping) solve your problem.

"The only thing that is constant is change." -- Heraclitus
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't find Stickies data on OSX 10.6.7 | why does my quicktime window continuously get smaller? »