New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Old Game, Newer iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macdadad

macdadad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13" MBP • 2.66Ghz iMac

Hi guys, years ago a friend gifted me with the game Myst IV Revelation. I've read up on the reviews then and was excited to try it out. But at that time my machine wasn't up to it. Things piled up at work and at home that I stowed it away and planned to come back for it when I had the time and somehow never got back to unearthing it again. Fast forward to yesterday, I was cleaning out stuff and I saw it again. Now my schedule's a bit lighter and my Mac's a little bit more powerful (late2009 iMac, 2.66GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM) that I was wondering...would this thing still play on my machine?

BTW my OS is only Leopard, NOT Snow Leopard but I plan to upgrade by next month.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdadad View Post
Hi guys, years ago a friend gifted me with the game Myst IV Revelation. I've read up on the reviews then and was excited to try it out. But at that time my machine wasn't up to it. Things piled up at work and at home that I stowed it away and planned to come back for it when I had the time and somehow never got back to unearthing it again. Fast forward to yesterday, I was cleaning out stuff and I saw it again. Now my schedule's a bit lighter and my Mac's a little bit more powerful (late2009 iMac, 2.66GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM) that I was wondering...would this thing still play on my machine?

BTW my OS is only Leopard, NOT Snow Leopard but I plan to upgrade by next month.
Like you said...this is an older game...from somewhere around 2005. Here are the original system requirements & info:

Apple - Downloads - Demos & Updates - Myst IV: Revelation

Here are the latest patches that I could find:

Ubisoft - Myst® IV Revelation

The last patch was from 2005 (before Intel Mac's were released)...so who know's if it will run...or run well. Since you have 10.5 installed...and have an Intel Mac...do you have "Rosetta" installed. This is a program that comes with the OS software (an optional install)...that allows PPC programs to run on an Intel based Mac.

When you're dealing with software that's on the older side...you just have to install it...and see if it will run.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Link fo more info on "Rosetta":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(software)

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

I tried to run this a while back on my 2009 intel mac and it didnt work (it wouldnt install). i didnt try and fix it however, you might be able to get it to run.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail Won't Send On First Try | Problem with Football Manager 2007 game »