New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iBook G4 _ What can i do?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Robinroh

Robinroh is on a distinguished road

Yeah , i've gotten an ibook g4 and i want to know exactly what things i can get because i know most things aren't able to work with this mac because its a powerPC not Intel.

And i mean specifically like applications like microsoft word?
Firefox
Chrome
Video games?

Anything and everything is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Well, depending on the CPU speed, it could be quite an old machine. The last iBooks were produced in 2005, but the G4 version was around well before then.

The latest MS Office suite for Mac (including Word) will require an Intel processor. You should probably look for 2008 or older.

Likewise, the latest Firefox requires an Intel processor, but older versions should work.

The latest Chrome is Intel only, but not sure about earlier versions (Chrome hasn't been around all that long).

Not sure what games in particular you're looking at, but you're not going to find many (if any) recent titles. Certainly not anything on Steam.

So, it's really hard to answer your question - particularly since you didn't list what version of OS X you're running or any specifics about the hardware (including RAM and CPU speed).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Robinroh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Well, depending on the CPU speed, it could be quite an old machine. The last iBooks were produced in 2005, but the G4 version was around well before then.

The latest MS Office suite for Mac (including Word) will require an Intel processor. You should probably look for 2008 or older.

Likewise, the latest Firefox requires an Intel processor, but older versions should work.

The latest Chrome is Intel only, but not sure about earlier versions (Chrome hasn't been around all that long).

Not sure what games in particular you're looking at, but you're not going to find many (if any) recent titles. Certainly not anything on Steam.

So, it's really hard to answer your question - particularly since you didn't list what version of OS X you're running or any specifics about the hardware (including RAM and CPU speed).

Mac os X
Version 10.4.11
1.2ghz
1.25gb RAM

Uhm , researched right now and i have the late 2004 one.

And i didn't mean specifically those applications i meant like those , word processors and internet browers and video games or just any other APP's
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I own the 1.33Ghz 2005 version. With your specs you could upgrade to OSX 10.5 Leopard which would help with some newer software that is still Power PC.

Google Chrome has always been Intel Only. Firefox just before 4 will all work. Also look for TenFourFox which is a ported Firefox 4 for the Power PC! Works great. Just be sure the applications you go for say Power PC or Universal. Universal will run on both Intel and Power PC.

If I knew exactly what applications you needed, I can make you a list of those that will work with URL's where to get them.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You're very smart to be running the latest version of Tiger, that is a big help.

Here's a good site with older versions of apps for older OSes:
Old Version for Mac Downloads - OldApps.com

You should be able to still find -- either from this site or just checking the developers' sites -- a well-rounded suite of software that will keep you in the loop.

But really, there's no long-term future for that machine -- it's already six years old. Running older versions of the apps will do fine for a while, but if I were you I'd start saving for an Intel Mac. Doesn't have to be new, it just has to be newer.
QUOTE Thanks
Robinroh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I own the 1.33Ghz 2005 version. With your specs you could upgrade to OSX 10.5 Leopard which would help with some newer software that is still Power PC.

Google Chrome has always been Intel Only. Firefox just before 4 will all work. Also look for TenFourFox which is a ported Firefox 4 for the Power PC! Works great. Just be sure the applications you go for say Power PC or Universal. Universal will run on both Intel and Power PC.

If I knew exactly what applications you needed, I can make you a list of those that will work with URL's where to get them.

Thanks, uhm i don't need specific software i just want to see what im able to get.
As for the list getting it is no problem but if you can make a list of some applications i'd appreciate it !
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinroh View Post
Thanks, uhm i don't need specific software i just want to see what im able to get.
As for the list getting it is no problem but if you can make a list of some applications i'd appreciate it !
I think that YOU need to be more specific regarding the apps. you're interested in. There are probably hundreds of apps. (maybe even thousands) that could run even on your older computer. These apps may not be "full-blown" modern apps...but older apps. that can be purchased used off e-Bay or downloaded (shareware/trial versions) off the internet.

If you don't have specific app needs...asking us to "make a list" of available apps is REALLY a lot of work...and NOT REALLY what we do. If you have a specific need or a few specific needs...great...we can help suggesting some apps.

But just asking us for a list of available apps (with no specific purpose or need in mind) is really asking a lot!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

Graeme43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I love student discount (sig)

I used to play UT2004 on my 2004 iBook G4 when I had it

iBook G3 (2001) 500MHz 384 RAM 9.2.2 / 10.2.8
Titanium PowerBook G4 (2001) 500MHz 768 RAM 9.2.2/10.2.8
Mac Pro (2007) 4x2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, 10.6.7
iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with Football Manager 2007 game | Going from PC, word to Mac »