New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Any programs similar to rEFit?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

treyweez11

treyweez11 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB

I was wondering if there were any other programs like rEFit that do what rEFit does. I need it because i want to install windows 7 on my mac but my combo drive is broken. Im currently using VMWare but it just doesent deliver the speed that i need. Any programs out there? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Why don't you just use rEFIt? To answer your question, there is nothing that I know of that is similar to rEFIt for use on a Mac.

In order to install Win 7 using Boot Camp or manually with Disk Utility, you need an on board optical drive that works.

Anyway, what you might try is the same procedure that's used to install Win 7 on a MacBook Air without an optical drive. It can be installed from a USB thumb drive. (large one) Here's the LINK.
QUOTE Thanks
treyweez11

Mac Specs: Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Why don't you just use rEFIt? To answer your question, there is nothing that I know of that is similar to rEFIt for use on a Mac.

In order to install Win 7 using Boot Camp or manually with Disk Utility, you need an on board optical drive that works.

Anyway, what you might try is the same procedure that's used to install Win 7 on a MacBook Air without an optical drive. It can be installed from a USB thumb drive. (large one) Here's the LINK.
I have tried multiple times to install win 7 using rEFit but i get an error everytime like "cannot load os" or something like that. I know i have a good usb drive but it wont work using rEFit. The link you gave me i already followed that guide no luck because of rEFit.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have access to another Mac? If you do, you can try firewire to firewire Target disk mode. Use the optical drive on the good Mac to install Win 7 on the Mac without a working drive. Not sure it will work because Win 7 (actually any version of Win) is so fussy about where it's being installed to.

Other than that, you'll have to replace the bad optical drive. And I don't understand why rEFIt is not working for you unless there's a problem with your copy of Win 7.
QUOTE Thanks
treyweez11

Quote:
Do you have access to another Mac? If you do, you can try firewire to firewire Target disk mode. Use the optical drive on the good Mac to install Win 7 on the Mac without a working drive. Not sure it will work because Win 7 (actually any version of Win) is so fussy about where it's being installed to.

Other than that, you'll have to replace the bad optical drive. And I don't understand why rEFIt is not working for you unless there's a problem with your copy of Win 7.
Thanks man, i might try and do that. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Some have had luck with Gparted. It's basically rEFIt without the pretty GUI. It's kind of flakey sometimes though. Once you get Win7 installed, you should be able to just hold the Option key down and choose which OS to boot to. Check out OSx86 for pointers.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
treyweez11

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Some have had luck with Gparted. It's basically rEFIt without the pretty GUI. It's kind of flakey sometimes though. Once you get Win7 installed, you should be able to just hold the Option key down and choose which OS to boot to. Check out OSx86 for pointers.
Your awesome man, im going to try that right now. ill add to your rep.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Some have had luck with Gparted. It's basically rEFIt without the pretty GUI.
GParted is a partition manager, not a boot manager. rEFIt is a boot manager. As a matter of fact, GParted is very similar to "Partition Magic" but the difference is that GParted is free.
QUOTE Thanks
treyweez11

Quote:
GParted is a partition manager, not a boot manager. rEFIt is a boot manager. As a matter of fact, GParted is very similar to "Partition Magic" but the difference is that GParted is free.
Hey could i install bootcamp on another mac then copy it over to an external hd then copy to my bootcamp partition?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

You might be able to do it with WinClone. Not sure it will work but you've nothing to lose by trying except time.
QUOTE Thanks
treyweez11

Quote:
You might be able to do it with WinClone. Not sure it will work but you've nothing to lose by trying except time.
Ill look into this, ill get back at you if it a success or fail. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Spreadsheet | Problem creating PDFs from Word »