Specs:
    Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB
    Question Any programs similar to rEFit?
    I was wondering if there were any other programs like rEFit that do what rEFit does. I need it because i want to install windows 7 on my mac but my combo drive is broken. Im currently using VMWare but it just doesent deliver the speed that i need. Any programs out there? Thanks in advance.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Why don't you just use rEFIt? To answer your question, there is nothing that I know of that is similar to rEFIt for use on a Mac.

In order to install Win 7 using Boot Camp or manually with Disk Utility, you need an on board optical drive that works.

Anyway, what you might try is the same procedure that's used to install Win 7 on a MacBook Air without an optical drive. It can be installed from a USB thumb drive. (large one) Here's the LINK.

Specs:
    Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Why don't you just use rEFIt? To answer your question, there is nothing that I know of that is similar to rEFIt for use on a Mac.

In order to install Win 7 using Boot Camp or manually with Disk Utility, you need an on board optical drive that works.

Anyway, what you might try is the same procedure that's used to install Win 7 on a MacBook Air without an optical drive. It can be installed from a USB thumb drive. (large one) Here's the LINK.
    I have tried multiple times to install win 7 using rEFit but i get an error everytime like "cannot load os" or something like that. I know i have a good usb drive but it wont work using rEFit. The link you gave me i already followed that guide no luck because of rEFit.

Specs:
    Do you have access to another Mac? If you do, you can try firewire to firewire Target disk mode. Use the optical drive on the good Mac to install Win 7 on the Mac without a working drive. Not sure it will work because Win 7 (actually any version of Win) is so fussy about where it's being installed to.

Other than that, you'll have to replace the bad optical drive. And I don't understand why rEFIt is not working for you unless there's a problem with your copy of Win 7.

Specs:
    Do you have access to another Mac? If you do, you can try firewire to firewire Target disk mode. Use the optical drive on the good Mac to install Win 7 on the Mac without a working drive. Not sure it will work because Win 7 (actually any version of Win) is so fussy about where it's being installed to.

Other than that, you'll have to replace the bad optical drive. And I don't understand why rEFIt is not working for you unless there's a problem with your copy of Win 7.
    Thanks man, i might try and do that. Thanks

Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    Some have had luck with Gparted. It's basically rEFIt without the pretty GUI. It's kind of flakey sometimes though. Once you get Win7 installed, you should be able to just hold the Option key down and choose which OS to boot to. Check out OSx86 for pointers.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
    Some have had luck with Gparted. It's basically rEFIt without the pretty GUI. It's kind of flakey sometimes though. Once you get Win7 installed, you should be able to just hold the Option key down and choose which OS to boot to. Check out OSx86 for pointers.
    Your awesome man, im going to try that right now. ill add to your rep.

Specs:
    Some have had luck with Gparted. It's basically rEFIt without the pretty GUI.
    GParted is a partition manager, not a boot manager. rEFIt is a boot manager. As a matter of fact, GParted is very similar to "Partition Magic" but the difference is that GParted is free.

Specs:
    GParted is a partition manager, not a boot manager. rEFIt is a boot manager. As a matter of fact, GParted is very similar to "Partition Magic" but the difference is that GParted is free.
    Hey could i install bootcamp on another mac then copy it over to an external hd then copy to my bootcamp partition?

Specs:
    You might be able to do it with WinClone. Not sure it will work but you've nothing to lose by trying except time.

Specs:
    You might be able to do it with WinClone. Not sure it will work but you've nothing to lose by trying except time.
    Ill look into this, ill get back at you if it a success or fail. Thanks

Thread Information