New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Spreadsheet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Only child

Only child is on a distinguished road

What is a straightforward, easy to use spreadsheet or database? I need date, currency and txt columns and easy sort for my medical records. I will have abt 2000 records. I am very busy and don't have time to learn a complex program. Excel is too complex. It changes my data, the help is not useful, and I don't need the time consuming hassle. I suppose there is an Apple spreadsheet, but I don't have it.
Should I get the Apple spreadsheet or go for something else. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Your post was moved to the correct forum as it does not belong in the "Lounge". We ask that you read forum descriptions and Sticky notices in each forum before posting. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

well, there is Numbers which is a simpler version of Excel. If you want your spreadsheets to be fully compatible though, you will have to create them in Excel.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I'm not sure I completely follow your post. Excel is only as complicated as you need it to be. The columns and sort functions you just described would be simple to do in Excel and are fairly fundamental spreadsheet functions - and I'm sure someone here or and the Excel forums could easily walk you through it. I don't see a point in getting a different package - since you already have Excel. Database functions are another matter entirely. Do you have any experience at all using a spreadsheet?

Maybe take a few seconds - describe what you're trying to do - and how your data 'changed' - and I'd bet someone here can sort you out pretty quickly.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Yeah I agree with Brian, we need a bit more info.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Open Office is always an option. Free download!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Free options: OpenOffice (now replaced by Libre Office), NeoOffice, Google Docs.

Paid options: MS Office for Mac, Numbers.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
txtchr

txtchr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
I'm not sure I completely follow your post. Excel is only as complicated as you need it to be. The columns and sort functions you just described would be simple to do in Excel and are fairly fundamental spreadsheet functions - and I'm sure someone here or and the Excel forums could easily walk you through it. I don't see a point in getting a different package - since you already have Excel. Database functions are another matter entirely. Do you have any experience at all using a spreadsheet?

Maybe take a few seconds - describe what you're trying to do - and how your data 'changed' - and I'd bet someone here can sort you out pretty quickly.
Excel is an excellent database, trust me, and quite easy to learn.

I've taught MS Office (primarily Word, Excel, Publisher, and Access) at the high school level for years. If 14 and 15-year-olds can master this software and learn it as a spreadsheet and database tool, anyone can. It's just learning it with the right approach and at the right pace.

And I happen to like to use BIG pictures.

"The only thing that is constant is change." -- Heraclitus
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtchr View Post
Excel is an excellent database, trust me, and quite easy to learn.

I've taught MS Office (primarily Word, Excel, Publisher, and Access) at the high school level for years. If 14 and 15-year-olds can master this software and learn it as a spreadsheet and database tool, anyone can. It's just learning it with the right approach and at the right pace.

And I happen to like to use BIG pictures.
I'm not sure what part of my post this is directed at - so I don't know how to respond.
QUOTE Thanks
txtchr

txtchr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM

Agreeing with you wholeheartedly, that's all. Many people get all willy-nilly about Excel and think it's just a spreadsheet, albeit a very powerful one if you know how to use all of its functions.

It can be a very basic and friendly database for those that don't want to mess with Access. Personally, I got frustrated with Access, which is why I always tended to use Excel instead. I liked it a whole lot more, and it always gave me what I wanted.

I could keep track of over 1000 kids attending prom by individual and date name, ticket number, and date of ticket sold. I had that database sorted and printed in so many ways that there were no security issues at our event. That was just one of the many ways I used Excel to make my life easier.

"The only thing that is constant is change." -- Heraclitus
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keynote Custom Animations Not Working | Any programs similar to rEFit? »