New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Problem creating PDFs from Word

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

melissa1983

melissa1983 is on a distinguished road

I am on a brand new MacBook Pro, having had a regular MacBook previously.

I have Microsoft Word 2011 on the new MacBook and am trying to create a PDF from a Word document, as I have many times in the past with my regular MacBook.

When I create a PDF in Word (using the Print-->Save as PDF option, or just the Save As option and choosing PDF), the PDF looks fine through Preview, but when I send it to another person, the file isn't the same. This has happened with multiple files created, and sent to multiple people. The error message they get is:

"Cannot extract the embedded font QOYHYW+MyriadPro-Regular. Some characters may not display or print correctly."

I also can't fax these through my fax service - the faxes fail due to failed image conversion.

I never had this problem on my MacBook, and am only having it on this MacBook Pro. These are the same files I work with every day in Word (contracts where only names and dollar amounts are being changed), so I'm not doing anything new, I'm just doing it on a new computer.

I just did a software update. I am on Mac OS X Version 10.6.7. I have 315 GB of available space. Microsoft Word for Mac 2011 is Version 14.1.0

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!
QUOTE Thanks
treyweez11

treyweez11 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB

Sorry about you problem, maybe you should start using Adobe to create you PDF's.
QUOTE Thanks
txtchr

txtchr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM

Have you tried using a different font? Get away from the standard Word 2011 default fonts of Cambria or Calibri. Try something like Arial or TNR. Does that seem to help?

Also, save your document first. Then try to print and save as a PDF.

You also might want to check to see which versions of Acrobat they're using to open the file. An older version might misinterpret what you've saved, thus making your document look quite garbled.

"The only thing that is constant is change." -- Heraclitus
QUOTE Thanks
g.george

g.george has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure if this is related to your problem, but 10.6.7 introduced a bug with OpenType Fonts when printing (or saving) to PDF. Myriad Pro (mentioned in your error message) was one of those problematic fonts if I recall correctly. To address the issue Apple released a font update about a month ago (Snow Leopard Font Update). Did you install this update after 10.6.7? It should show up if you run Software Update.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any programs similar to rEFit? | Outlook .pst file to Apple Mail »