New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Converting a document to PDF

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MarkMcLean26

MarkMcLean26 is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys

Just wondered if anyone could tell me how to easily convert a word document to a PDF without having to purchase any additional software?

I have used a website before to convert documents but it limits you to 1 conversion per half hour.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

How are you opening the Word document? With Word? If so, you can check to see if you have "Save as PDF" option..if not, then open up the Print dialog and you'll see a PDF option at the bottom where you can save the file as a PDF..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You could always use OpenOffice to save the documents as PDFs. Once you save them as PDFs though, check that everything looks ok. OpenOffice does a pretty good job with Word documents but it can screw up sometimes.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MancmacUK

MancmacUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
How are you opening the Word document? With Word? If so, you can check to see if you have "Save as PDF" option..if not, then open up the Print dialog and you'll see a PDF option at the bottom where you can save the file as a PDF..

Regards
I was going to say both of those !! You beat me to it !

I've just checked, Word 2008 on my iMac gives you both options.

You can also convert other documents to PDF using Preview, depending on type of document.

 iMac 21.5" 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.8.3
QUOTE Thanks
thanhdao

thanhdao is on a distinguished road

there are a software call : PDF converter free. you can uses it as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMcLean26 View Post
Hi Guys

Just wondered if anyone could tell me how to easily convert a word document to a PDF without having to purchase any additional software?
Yes, but there are potential "gotcha's" along the way.

The ability to "print as a PDF" is built-in to OS X.

If you have Microsoft Word for the Macintosh on your Mac, you are golden. Open the file in Word, choose Print --> PDF --> Save as PDF, and you are done.

The problem comes if you don't have Word. Nothing will open Word files and have them look perfect with the certainty of Word itself.

TextEdit (comes with OS X) will open Word files...and often they will look like ****. You can try TextEdit and see if things look okay, and if they do, you can print to PDF. But chances are this won't be a satisfactory solution.

If you have any other word processor, try opening the Word document in it, and see if things look good. If they do, print to PDF.

If you don't have a good word processor, try this new and excellent free office suite:

Libre Office (free)
Home LibreOffice

That is likely to do it for you, but even Libre Office isn't as dependable as Word itself.

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Split and Concat | No Sound or Internal Speaker invisible »