New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Best Free Antivirus for Mac OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

guchok

guchok is on a distinguished road

What is the Best Free Antivirus for Mac OS X.
I am also have virtual machine Windows on it. Will it be protected if I set up antivirus only on Mac?
Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Many member ask the question about viruses and malware on the Mac and in addition to using the search function at the top of the forum, you'll find almost all your answers here:

Official Antivirus, Malware, and Firewall FAQ

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guchok View Post
What is the Best Free Antivirus for Mac OS X.
Despite a handful of trojans that exist for Mac OS X, there still has never been a true virus for it. What little malware does exist is easily avoided with a bit of common sense computing (i.e. only downloading programs from trusted sources, avoiding pirated software and never giving a program your admin password when prompted unless you know exactly what it is, why you need it and where it came from).

So, an anti-virus solution is kind of useless at this point, since it has nothing to scan for. If you want to do occasional scans, check out ClamXAV.

Quote:
I am also have virtual machine Windows on it. Will it be protected if I set up antivirus only on Mac?
Thank you.
No. Windows is basically running in its own sandbox, so an antivirus on Mac OS X will not see the filesystem of the virtual machine. You definitely want to run a Windows-specific anti-virus on the virtual machine, particularly if you use it to access the Internet at all.

I recommend Microsoft's own, free, Microsoft Security Essentials.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Also there is now available ClamWin from ClamXAV manufacturers, Sourceforge. It is also free ware. A little slower to update and scan than MSE.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Also there is now available ClamWin from ClamXAV manufacturers, Sourceforge. It is also free ware. A little slower to update and scan than MSE.
Do note though, that ClamXAV is reactive only. It will not proactively prevent the installation of a virus, which is very important in the Windows world. There are many free Windows AV products and most of them are proactive.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Torrent Files | Outlook 2011 with google apps »