New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

MS Word for Mac Problem: Footnotes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ILoveMac123

ILoveMac123 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am new here. I hope I have posted this question to the correct area.

I have been using MS Word for Mac for about 4 years. I have experienced several "bugs" in it and have noticed formatting issues with it. When I reported this to our local Mac store, they said they had never heard any complaints about this version of Word.

I am working on a book and am using footnotes. Up until the last few days I have not experienced problems with footnotes. Normally, when placing footnotes Word automatically places them at the bottom of the page. It has begun placing footnotes that should go at the bottom of the page on the next page.

I have 4 footnotes on one page, and it continues to place footnote #4 at the bottom of the next page, in front of footnote #5. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and how it can be fixed? I have tried everything I can think of.

Any help is appreciated. If anyone has experienced this problem, please let me know how you fixed it.

Thanks!

Angela
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Your post was moved to the correct forum as it does not belong in "Running Windows......."

As for your question: Which version of MS Word for the Mac are you using?

Normally, footnotes are placed in order and should fit on one page provided there is enough room below the margins. Have you tried to reduce the top-bottom margins on the particular page where you have 4 footnotes to place?

Something that might help is to turn on the margin boundary lines so you can see how much space remains.
QUOTE Thanks
ILoveMac123

Hi,

Thanks for moving this to where it belongs.

I am using MS Word for Mac 2008.

After I posted I realized that my footnote problem did not happen until I changed my document from single-spaced to 1.5 spacing in the text body. I left the footnote section single spaced to save room.

I have not tried to change the top-bottom margins on the page. On a page where I have 10 footnotes, they are all where they are supposed to be. It only happens on certain pages, seemingly at random.

Before I changed to 1.5 spacing, it seemed that the footnotes would make enough room for all the notes on the page by moving lines of the text body to the next page, which worked fine for me. For some reason, since changing the spacing it has not worked that way consistently. On the MS Word Page there is a troubleshooting file and apparently this was a big problem with MS Word 2001. None of their troubleshooting tips worked when I tried them.

I have contacted Microsoft and hope they will have a solution.

I am still open to anything that worked for anyone else who had this problem.

Thanks!

Angela
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Thanks for posting back. You might also try the Mac Office forums that Microsoft sponsors on their server. Lots of talented guys and gals on there to help. You may have to register in order to post but registration is free.

Here's the LINK. By the way, it just so happens there is a similar question to yours that has been answered. Look at post number 3 on the left hand side.
QUOTE Thanks
ILoveMac123

Thank you, chscag, you have been very helpful!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cool Tip from OS X Daily | Craigslist email responses, easier? »