New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How to delete a service on Mac OS Leopard, manually?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Raizen.Z09

Raizen.Z09 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 2.66Ghz mid '10 with Mac OS Leopard

Some applications like to install its services on to the system, but the service won't goes anywhere after we uninstall the application. i.e. TextWrangler, Folx, etc. And this is annoying! =[

I recently installed Folx on to my MBP and it works fine… however, I can't disable the "Download All With Folx" option on my context menu.

I've tried disabled the Folx Plug-in on Safari by moving the FolxNetscapePlugIn.plugin from the Internet Plug-Ins folder. I've try uninstall the applicatioin by moving it to Trash. Neither of them helps. I've also tried moving Folx to the Trash with AppTrap running (AppTrap will delete all the association files with the application which you are moving to Trash) and delete the com.eltima.Folx.plist, this also won't make the "Download All With Folx" disappear from my context menu in Safari.

I don't want to just change the context menu by customizing it and delete this menu option, but I want that service roll outta my mac…

Your help is appreciated.

Thank in advance!!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Check ~/Library/Services (the Library in your home folder) and /Library/Services (the root one at what is by default called "Macintosh HD"). A service for Folx may be installed to one of those.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Raizen.Z09

Thanks for the help.

However, I can't find the Services folder in either ~/Library/ or /Library/
I tried "open ~/Library/Services/" and "open /Library/Services/" but Terminal says the folder does not exist. It appears like there're no such folder.

Am I the only one who experience this? I'm running OS X Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Simple solution - use the included uninstaller. Reinstall it and then instead of trashing the app, use the uninstaller in the disk image. See here for more info.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Raizen.Z09

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Simple solution - use the included uninstaller. Reinstall it and then instead of trashing the app, use the uninstaller in the disk image. See here for more info.
That's it!! A million thanks vansmith…

By the way, is it usual that OS X Snow Leopard doesn't have the Services folder in ~/Library/ and /Library/ ? If so, how can we manually delete those services?

I found a folder in ~/System/Library/ named Services but I don't think it the right place because it is where Snow Leopard stores OS services but not 3rd-party applications services. In the same directory there're another folder named CoreServices, it is even more unlikely to be where OS X stores 3rd-party services.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Whatever you do, do not delete anything in ~/System/Library and Services. You are right, that is the OS stores it's services.

Glad you got it sorted and thanks Van for helping the OP!

BRW, my 10.6.7 on my C2d iMac has the Services in both User/library/ and the /library. Only one file in the user one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transferring Text Messages | Virus/spyware worries with Microsoft Office '11 for Mac OS X »