Firefox won't update
    Hi there,

Since the last version of Firefox, I can't seem to get it to update automatically. Basically, it tells me it needs to perform an update and then the window comes which says it is contacting the update server. But it never progresses from there. This was the case in my last 3.x version. Because I couldn't update that version, when V4 came out, I uninstalled Firefox and installed V4.

However, I am getting the same problem with V4. It never progresses past the "contacting update server" stage.

Any ideas? I am running Snow Leopard on a late 2010 iMac 27". I have tried this as the administrator, and as the only account open (to ensure Firefox isn't open in another account). Could it be a firewall issue?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    I have the same problem with Thunderbird. (Same developer - Mozilla) I usually have to do a search for a newer version and download. However, it seems to update over the top of the previous version without difficulty.

I don't think the problem is at your end. I'll try a bit later with FF to see if it's doing the same thing.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Must be something somewhere between your ISP and the FF update server.

It's always worked here for some reason. FF3, FF4.

Thanks for all your inputs. I was thinking, that I am running Sophos Anti Virus always in the background that probably most people are not. Could it be possible that this is what is causing the problem. I don't know how to shut the application down to test it though as it starts at boot, has no quit option, and in activity monitor, if I force quit it, it just keeps coming back.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Sophos may be running interference. Try removing or shutting it down for a bit to see if Firefox will update and then turn it on again later.

However, I do not run any type of AV or anti malware software and still occasionally have problems with the Mozilla servers. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Just do a manual check for updates every now and then. That's what I do.

Thread Information