Web browsers crashing!
    Hello all!

I have been having problems with my web browsers (firefox, chrome, safari) crashing a lot more than usual. It brings up the "thinking" wheel icon and then just stops working and when i try to force quit from the dock it freezes the entire computer and I have to power off my mac and reboot.

I just recently replaced my hard drive and used a time machine back up to restore my mac. Could there be some problem there?

Or maybe it's a problem with flash?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    It could very well be a plugin. Does this commonly occur on a particular page? Do you get get an error message when the browsers crash?

It could be Flash but Firefox and Chrome have what's called "plugin isolation" or "sandboxing." In non-technical terms, it simply means that if the plugin crashes, it doesn't take down the browser with it. You can see what this looks like in Firefox here - the plugin crashes but the browser stays up and running.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    It could very well be a plugin. Does this commonly occur on a particular page? Do you get get an error message when the browsers crash?

It could be Flash but Firefox and Chrome have what's called "plugin isolation" or "sandboxing." In non-technical terms, it simply means that if the plugin crashes, it doesn't take down the browser with it. You can see what this looks like in Firefox here - the plugin crashes but the browser stays up and running.
    It's not just on one particular site. And no messages pops up; it just freezes and then freezes the computer when i try to force quit. I should mention that sometimes it freezes ups but bounces right back and continues to work.

Me too!
    I have the EXACT same problem. Safari was getting way too sluggish for me, so I switched to Firefox. After the upgrade to 4.0.1, it started freezing when I had a large amount of tabs open (I'm a tab junkie so I usually have 30+). I got fed up and switched to Opera - which appears more solid than Firefox at first, but crashes if I have around 10 tabs open. Sure, the sites have flash/plugins/etc., but I had NoScript/Adblock installed on Firefox (and running) and Opera running in the special "ask plugin" mode or w/e it's called.

Google realtime shows that this issue is actually all over Twitter. I'm assuming that is an issue with Mac OS X OR some sort of Mac plugin problem, because this
    a) Affects [the major] web browsers
    b) Is NOT site-specific

Would really love a resolution to this issue so I can go back to browsing the web.

(Running the latest version of OS X Snow Leopard, w/Updates)

Thread Information