Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 10, 2007
    Posts
    75
    Question Help! Deleted iCal Events
    My apologies if I am posting this in the wrong forum. I couldn't seem to find a more specific one.

    I am running iCal 4.0.4 on 2 Mac & an iPad2. When I last synced the iPad2, I noticed that all of my iCal entries (i.e. events) on the iPad2 were duplicated. Thus, I deleted the dupes (only for the month of May). However, when this change automatically synced with MobilMe, all of the entries (for the month of May) were deleted from the iCal calendars on my Macs (since there were no dupes on the Macs).


    Since one of my Mac is backed up with Time Machine, I restored iCal from by Applications folder. However, this merely restored the iCal app, but not the entries. Like iTunes & iPhoto, I assumed that the actual data would be stored in a library in the Home folder. Unfortunately, I could not find it.


    Can anyone please help! Thank you.

  2. #2

    BrianLachoreVPI's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,733
    Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Did you restore your ~/Library/Calendars folder? Your .ics files should be in there which will contain all of your events.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jul 10, 2007
    Posts
    75
    I didn't. But, now having done so, I do have the restored .ics files. There appears to be one .ics file for each date on the calendar as of the restored date (one week ago). However, when I double-click on any date in the May 2011, the file will not open. Of course, the events of May 2011 are the ones I need to restore.

    Do you have any thoughts??? Thank you so much.

  4. #4

    BrianLachoreVPI's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,733
    Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Have you tried importing that file in to iCal - via File>Import

  5. #5

    BrianLachoreVPI's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,733
    Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    As I've never done this myself - I just recall backing up those .ics files when I was originally setting up MobileMe - which led me down the path of exploring where they were at the time - I just did a search to see if there's anything else that needs to be involved. This seems to have been successful for folks trying to do something similar.

    MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - iCal restore from Time Machine

    Edit: I should have replaced my above post with this one - mods - feel free. To the OP - after a quick search - I would probably try this before the import I suggested above when I was just guessing.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jul 10, 2007
    Posts
    75
    When I go to File > Import, "Import" is grayed out. However, that is not the case with any dates other than May.

  7. #7

    BrianLachoreVPI's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,733
    Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by kitjv View Post
    When I go to File > Import, "Import" is grayed out. However, that is not the case with any dates other than May.
    Ok - try the above - I have a feeling it will take care of your issue in full.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Jul 10, 2007
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    As I've never done this myself - I just recall backing up those .ics files when I was originally setting up MobileMe - which led me down the path of exploring where they were at the time - I just did a search to see if there's anything else that needs to be involved. This seems to have been successful for folks trying to do something similar.

    MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - iCal restore from Time Machine

    Edit: I should have replaced my above post with this one - mods - feel free. To the OP - after a quick search - I would probably try this before the import I suggested above when I was just guessing.
    Please forgive my ignorance, but the steps in the link don't make a lot of sense to me. Could you please elaborate a bit on these? I would appreciate it. Thank you Brian.

  9. #9

    BrianLachoreVPI's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,733
    Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by kitjv View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance, but the steps in the link don't make a lot of sense to me. Could you please elaborate a bit on these? I would appreciate it. Thank you Brian.
    It's just telling you to restore those specific folders and files from your Time Machine backup.

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Jul 10, 2007
    Posts
    75
    Well, here is what I did so far. I went into Time Machine, selected a prior date & restored Library > Calendars (as per your suggestion). When prompted, I selected the option of not replacing the original, but rather keeping the original alongside the restored version. (Since I am treading on unfamiliar ground, I didn't want to get myself into a deeper hole). Are you suggesting that I replace the original with the restored data instead?

  11. #11

    BrianLachoreVPI's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,733
    Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by kitjv View Post
    Well, here is what I did so far. I went into Time Machine, selected a prior date & restored Library > Calendars (as per your suggestion). When prompted, I selected the option of not replacing the original, but rather keeping the original alongside the restored version. (Since I am treading on unfamiliar ground, I didn't want to get myself into a deeper hole). Are you suggesting that I replace the original with the restored data instead?
    I think you'll be just fine doing that as it should have everything you need. Additionally you want to replace your com.apple.iCal.helper.plist and com.apple.iCal.plist files with the Time Machine backup - in the path shown below

    <your_user_dir>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iCal.helper.plist and com.apple.iCal.plist

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Jul 10, 2007
    Posts
    75
    Thanks, Brian. Let me give it a try. I'll report back.

  13. #13


    Member Since
    Jul 10, 2007
    Posts
    75
    Well, I replaced the old iCal data with the restored .ics files (in addition to the plists you mentioned). Unfortunately, it didn't work. The events for the month of May were not restored. But, I did go into the Time Machine .ics files & manually retrieved the events for May & entered them in iCal. So I did recreate my May calendar. However, it would be nice to know how to use Time Machine to automatically restore iCal events.

    Thank you again for your help.

  14. #14

    BrianLachoreVPI's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,733
    Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    I know I sent this as a pm earlier but figured I should post this here for posterity Restoring iCal from Time Machine in Snow Leopard

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Jul 10, 2007
    Posts
    75
    BTW, Brian, I just discovered (what I assume to be) a related problem. Having restored my missing iCal data, I synced iCal (via MobileMe) with my other Mac & my iPad. Worked fine. However, when I opened iCal in MobileMe, the data is still missing there. To me, this seems weird since I assume that my other Mac & iPad had to have been synced thru MobileMe. Any explanation? Any idea how to restore the missing iCal data to MobileMe? Thank you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Deleted iCal events -- all devices
    By Dophile in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2014, 07:06 PM
  2. Invite myself to iCal events?
    By jmckhobbs in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2013, 08:32 AM
  3. new calendar deleted my ical events?!
    By heyhey123 in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 10:01 PM
  4. iTunes deleted all my iCal events!
    By medieval in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2011, 01:38 PM
  5. Accidently deleted ical from dock all events gone!
    By sam joyce in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 10:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •