New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

HD won't eject.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chew

chew is on a distinguished road

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard and updated some apps. Also installed 'Keep Disc Spinning' to try to stop my Western Digital external HD giving me the beachball when it starts up and sleeps. I then couldn't eject it getting a message:

The disk "Name" couldn't be ejected because some programs may be using it.

I then tried AppZapper to get rid of KDS but I kept getting an error. Ended up deleting KDS and now I get this message:

The disk "Name" couldn't be ejected because Safari is using it.

Why would Safari be using my External HD and how do I sort this crap out?

Also my external HD won't sleep / stop now even though I deleted the KDS program.

Any advice?

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Reinstall KDS and use it's own uninstaller.

Always use the uninstaller packaged with apps that make changes to the system.
I actually apply this to any app that requires me to put in my password in order to install it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chew

Forgot to mention, when I quit Safari along with all other programs I get this:

The disk "Name" wasn't ejected because one or more programs may be using it.
QUOTE Thanks
chew

I just reinstalled KDS (wasnt really an install) it just opened and asked which drive to keep spinning. There is no uninstaller that I can see.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yeah, KDS was not uninstalled properly and there is still a kext in the system keeping some part of it running.

Look in the dmg that it came in.

Was this app "Keep Drive Spinning" or "Keep Disc Spinning"?
If the latter where is the link to it?

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

If it was Keep Drive Spinning - then you need to open it back up and choose to allow the drive to sleep to reset the system file it changed to begin with and then you can delete the app.

QUOTE Thanks
chew

Sorry, my mistake. It is Keep Drive Spinning.

Its Keep Drive Spinning.app - no dmg
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

See the above in case you missed it while posting. Give that a shot.

QUOTE Thanks
chew

Ok, Ive opened KDS again told it to let the HD sleep. Tried ejecting and get the same message.

The disk "Name" wasn't ejected because one or more programs may be using it.

Then I deleted using AppZapper which worked this time. Tried ejecting and get that message again. This is with no programs running.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Re-boot the machine.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

If that doesn't work, head into Sys Preferences - Accounts - Startup... see if it added something there and delete it.

QUOTE Thanks
chew

Ok. This worked. I made sure Safari was open when I tried to eject it and it worked.

Thanks so much for your help.

BTW if I start getting the beachball again, which was the reason I tried this in the first place do you have any suggestions? I have a feeling it's the Western Digital HD that's the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Depends on when it is you get the beachball. If you only get it when accessing the external drive, give it the time to wake the drive up and live with it.

QUOTE Thanks
chew

Right now it seems the drive is not going to sleep which I guess is what I initially wanted (stopping the beachball effect).

What it was doing was randomly starting up and going to sleep without me even accessing it and giving me the beachball. If I was accessing the drive and having to wait thats ok but it just paused the whole system at random without me accessing anything on it. It was only a few seconds but was incredibly annoying.

I will leave it for now and see how it behaves over the next few days.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Have you run Disk Utility or something similar to test the drive? I have a failing drive that is exhibiting similar behavior.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cloud Service | Quick iTunes question......... »