New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

StarCraft trouble with Snow Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SuperHangOn

SuperHangOn is on a distinguished road

I just got a new MacBook Pro 2011 13" 2.7 GHZ model.

I wanted to play StarCraft 1 today. After installing the game the first few times I tried to run it, it would "unexpectedly quit". Now, when I open the installer and choose the option "Play StarCraft" it just closes the window and nothing happens.

What is Rosetta? I think I might need this to play. I don't know where to go from here.

Thanks for any help!!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I still play SC1 in Snow Leopard so I can confirm that it does indeed work. Have you used the OS X installer and installed the most recent patch?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
SuperHangOn

I'm not really sure if I used the OSX installer. I have the battle chest and used the actual discs. After putting them in my macbook I just clicked install on the starcraft window that came up automatically.

As far as the patch I did download the 1.161 patch for the expansion pack brood war as the directions on Blizzard's support page said.

I just switched from PC to mac so im not 100% on macs and their organization and all, so sorry if my description is vague.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If I remember correctly, I had to use the OS X installer separately. Try reinstalling Starcraft using the OS X installer on the website that I linked to in my previous post.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
SuperHangOn

Alright, so I reinstalled StarCraft by going through battle.net and registering the 26 digit cd key. I used their installer and everything. But I seem to be right back in the same place. When open Applications > StarCraft > StarCraft (Carbon) in my dock I see the StarCraft CD logo thing come up for about a half of a second and then it just disappears, nothing happens.

Is it the rosetta thing? I've read that Snow Leopard doesn't come with rosetta, but I can't figure out where to download it.

Why can't I just put the disc in, install it and play it? Too simple huh?
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

I cant remember if it is a powerpc app...

Rosetta is a tool that allows intel users to run apps compiled for PPC processors (the older generation of CPUs apple used to use.) since then, all new Macs come with Intel machines.

in short, if SC is a PPC app, you need rosetta to run it.

(FWIW, I had to use the separate OSX installer, like vansmith.)

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

Have you unzipped the files received from Battle.net with anything other than the Unarchiver app provided by Snow Leopard? I had problems with Starcraft because of this.
QUOTE Thanks
SuperHangOn

Well thanks for the help forums. Nothing I do seems to make any difference, so I'm giving up. Maybe some day I'll find more motivation to figure this out.

Thanks again...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Syncing I-Cal with the mobile me version | mail »